• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Petrified

C

Copewithit

I have a dental appointment for 2.30pm today. I haven’t hardly slept since I made the appointment. I haven’t been to the Dentist for many many years but due to an abcess on a broken tooth I’ve made this appointment. I am still thinking of cancelling it as I’m so frightened of going. I have missing teeth and broken teeth. Why have I got this fear

Hi Copewithit:welcome:,

sounds like you're doing a huge thing here and I can only imagine how strong the urge to cancel must be. What will the appointment be for today? And is your practice aware of how fearful you are?

All the best wishes

Welcome @Copewithit, just wanted to wish you the best of luck :clover:

Just an idea: if you like and if you've got the time, you could print out this form, fill it in and give it to your dentist:

(of course, you could skip the second page to make it shorter)

If you can't face the prospect of actually having the dentist have a look, this can be a good starting point to talk about what really frightens/upsets you about seeing a dentist, and it's a great way of finding out if this dentist is right for you.

I hope it all works out well for you today and that you can find the courage to go 🤗

@Enarete Thank you for taking your time to reply to me. The dentist has phoned to change my appointment to 3pm now. I asked how long I would be in there and they said 15 minutes. I have told them I have really bad anxiety and frightened so I am booked in with the owner of the practice

@letsconnect
Thanks for taking time to answer me. I have read through the questions and will screenshot it and ask the dentist the questions on it …as I cannot print it out …

Hey great to hear that you're booked in with the owner of the practice, well done :thumbsup!: !

Wishing you all the best, please update us :clover:

@Enarete Thank you for taking your time to reply to me. The dentist has phoned to change my appointment to 3pm now. I asked how long I would be in there and they said 15 minutes. I have told them I have really bad anxiety and frightened so I am booked in with the owner of the practice

This sounds great! I'm sure that with 15 minutes it's only about having a look and discussing with you how to solve it. I'm so glad you were able to let them know how bad your anxiety is. In this way they can make sure to accommodate your needs and it sounds like that's what they are doing by making sure you see the practice owner.

May all go well today, keep us posted!

@Enarete
I cannot believe how my fear of the dentist has been eased today. I nearly didn’t go but knew I had to. My sister who was coming with me had to work so she sent her husband instead. There was NO Dental smell which I remembered from a child and the actually dentists room was totally different to what I remembered from years ago. I still felt very nervous but the dentist put me totally at ease. I need all my bottom teeth removed and a few of my top ones too and dentures made. I asked ( as I was embarrassed ) if my teeth were the worst he’d seen and surprisingly for me he said NO. Today I have partially overcome my fear of going to the Dentist and I can’t say I’m looking forward to the next visit but I’m not petrified to go again…. Thankfully

This is amazing, just look at you! :claps::claps::claps:
So glad all went well and it looks like you‘ve found a great dentist! Thank you so much for sharing and please give yoursel a pat on the back. Resisting the urge to cancel is a huge thing and not everyone manages to push that far.

Congratulations @Copewithit !! So glad to hear that you managed to get there and that the dentist was able to put you at ease :cloud9:. Dentistry has certainly come a very long way! Well done you :welldone: