• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

phobia and line of work...connected?

L

lilone

I have heard that many people with dental phobia are in a line of work where things are very controlled/they are in control, and I just wondered how true this is. What line of work are you in? Does it require that you be in strict control of your environment?

I'm a teacher and, yes, control is essential...even for a "cool" teacher.

Being a call center rep... nah not in control, except for call flow...

That's a very interesting theory. I too like to be in control, have always run my own businesses, am an IT tutor and although teaching for various colleges most of my tutoring is done through one of my companies for private organisations. I am a very confident, outgoing person so when I first voiced my dental fears no-one who knew me could actually believe that I could be scared of anything.
However, that doesn't really explain the theory because in a lot of cases, mine definitely the phobia stems from early childhood, long before we evolved or developed into our present personalities and traits. In my case I was a severely shy child and in fact it was only when I was 25 that I changed completely from being introvert to a complete extrovert. But perhaps, as they say these days a lot - its in the genes!

Same here SS. I have worked as an IT Consultant and Systems Engineer since I left school 17 years ago. Everyone who knows me, has said that they wouldn't have thought I am scared of anything as I am usually the first to dive straight in on risky things or new experiences. Yet when it comes to dentists and people touching my teeth, I am like a nervous wreck.