• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Phobic and Terrified of appointment tomorrow, Monday May 20th

J

JayeB

Some background. I am a 47 year old woman in Boise, Idaho, USA. I have genetically bad teeth, I suppose. I have permanent teeth that were never there and my dealings with dentists started when I was 8. He pulled 5 teeth in prep for braces. I had those for 5 years. 2 years of a retainer. Then lots of fillings and a permanent bridge.

From the beginning, I remember telling them it still hurt only to be told I was "being a baby". I was told my braces couldn't hurt as much as I said, my jaw, neck and shoulders hurt for days. I had a root canal 15 years ago and, after 12 shots, the dentist was actually in tears. I could still feel it but my neck and right arm/hand was numb and up the side of my head. It took 3 days to regain feeling. I'm just hitting the high points.

I started to have trouble going after that 15 years ago. I have had ONE appointment since then which went just as badly about 8 years ago. After 11 shots to do another root canal, the dentist refused to continue. He told me that I should have them all pulled. I don't just have issues with dental numbing, with one child I had an epidural that wouldn't take either and topical numbing often doesn't last as long as it should. My Dad and some in his family have the same thing.

I have an appointment tomorrow with a sedation dentist. It took me 3 months and 6 cancellations to make it. I KNOW my teeth are in really poor shape. I lost a filling in a molar and it's obvious it is in poor shape. I wasn't hurting when I made the appointment 2 weeks ago but it is now. I also have a tooth where it broke in half and that doesn't hurt.

I am not only worried about the actually visit. I am shaking and gone through a minor panic attack writing this. I am terrified we can't have whatever I need done done. We have cruddy insurance and, by the 1st, will have a dental savings plan that will take a percentage off. I don't care if I have a few holes, I don't want them white....I just want to not hurt and be able to eat without worrying something is going to break.

Now I'm sobbing and a full on panic attack is threatening. The new dentists office assures me they understand. They were referred to me by my mother's dentist because they have sedation and are often referred by psychologists dealing with phobias. They say it will be xrays and exam with a qtip. They told me all instruments will be put away. I am STILL a wreck.

I suppose I'm glad I found this forum but I hate that I feel like this. I want to just get it done but I can't seem to stop.

I'll be back in the morning to read some more stories before I go in the afternoon. But I am SO scared.

Thanks for listening/reading.

Last edited:
Re: Phobic and Terrified of appointment tomorrow, Monday April 20th

Hi JayeB!
I can sense your distress in your post and I wanted to start off by giving you a big cyber hug! :XXLhug: As overwhelming as things may seem at the moment, it will be okay and no matter what needs doing, it can be done at your own pace. It sounds like you will be in excellent hands with this new dentist and nothing will happen tomorrow that you feel uncomfortable with doing. Remember that you are in control.

I don't have an answer for the trouble with numbing, it could be that you are just wired differently. You aren't a redhead by any chance are you? Research is beginning to show that redheads are less responsive to anesthesia. I'm funny with anesthesia too (and I'm not a redhead). I can usually get numb but I don't stay numb for very long and often need extra. Also, when I had sedation for my wisdom teeth many years ago I only got a little dizzy for a second! :stars:After a second dose, they got me "sedated" but I kept resurfacing and required more than what is typical and the nurses told my mom they had a difficult time keeping me sedated. So maybe some people are just "special" in that way and metabolize drugs differently? Given your past experiences, it is no wonder you are terrified of treatment though. I am very sorry you endured those painful treatments in the past. These days, they have new injection techniques and medications that can be used so perhaps those can help you. Please tell the dentist your history with the numbing difficulties so they are aware of this and can find ways to trouble shoot this problem.

Try not to worry too much about what needs doing right now. Just focus on one thing at a time. At the moment you are taking a huge first step attending this appointment so kudos to you! That is a huge accomplishment! :jump::respect: You may want to take this time to try and nail down what your exact fears and expectations are about this upcoming appointment and write them down. Communicate them to your dentist if you are able to so they can better help you when you get there. I honestly think that the unknown is usually more overwhelming than the known and we always anticipate the absolute worst case scenario so you may feel better after you know what you are facing with your teeth. You will at least have a better sense of control and can plan for the future. Please let us know how you get on and best of luck for tomorrow! :clover: :grouphug:

Last edited:

I just wanted to say good luck - I'm in the 24 hour ish countdown and nervous as anything myself - hang in there and hope it goes as well as it can

Hi BIG :welcome: to the forum.

I just want to agree with everything that has been said to you already and with you GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover::clover::clover::clover:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: They are not going to be doing any treatment when you go so try not to be too worried. They sound lovely :)

Thank you for your comments. As you might have noticed, I'm in such poor shape I didn't get the date right in the title. :(

Little sleep last night and major depression this morning. Appointment is in 7 hours. I'm such a wreck my husband stayed home to help take care of our little boy this morning. He's 5 1/2 and I home school, etc. He was a micro-preemie and is autistic. ANYWAY.............rambling. Sorry.

I'm so very scared.

I am not red head but do matabolize meds faster it seems. I was told by a couple dentists and a doctor that especially since I have family history of being "wired" different, that is most likely the case and traditional numbing would probably not be the best option. That was, of course, years ago.

That is another fear. That I'll go and we won't be able to afford the sedation much less all that needs done. It would be safe to say every single tooth in my mouth needs attention/filling/pulled. My bridge is also 30 years old and is out of line now.

Stopping for now....thank you again for the kind words.

I know how dreadful those first appointments are. I am sending you encouragement and support (and a little courage too)! Good luck! Remember, the first step is the biggest--it gets a little easier after that!

Hi Jaye

I can really sympathise. However, you've been very brave, and you sound so committed to going. Well done so far. If you're in pain it won't get better by itself, so you are absolutely doing the right thing. You're also taking charge of your treatment e.g. Choosing a sedation dentist, making the appointment when you weren't driven to it by pain etc. You know you can do this, and even in the last eight years treatments have come on a lot, so your new dentist will be able to make you comfortable. I'm in the UK but I'm calculating the time difference, and will be thinking of you later. I look forward to reading your post about how well you did, and how glad you are that you've taken control of your mouth and the future of your teeth!

Thinking of you x

I definitely empathize. That first appointment is so difficult to get to. The fear of the unknown can be overwhelming.

As far as costs go, the dentist I use is $150 for oral sedation, but they can do a lot of work at once. That doesn't mean they have to do a lot at once though. You can tell them to do the things it will take to get you out of pain and that you will do the rest as finances allow.

You can make it through this. :XXLhug:

Update:

I was a wreck but dentist was AMAZING! Good news is my current 6-tooth 30 year old bridge is still in "amazingly good shape" and, because I've brushed, flossed and used lysterine, I have little gum loss and no bone loss in spite of things.

Bad news. I need 2 previous root canal teeth dug out and crowns...that can wait. But I have 2 teeth that need done "very very soon". One we just caught as it was starting to abcess. I am going on antibiotics for that and he won't do any work on it until I've been on them at least 2 weeks.

Even worse news? Our horrible insurance only pays $750 of the initial $2714 needed. I am defeated and depressed. We have no credit options due to issues over the past 5 years with a special medical needs son. Our only option is possibly my parents and that is a huge long shot.

So I did find a good dentist who understands and can do all the work under sedation. *sigh*

Back