• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Pinhole Surgical Technique alternative to gum graft?

G

greg9840

Hello,
My two top front teeth have extremely receded gums, so my dentist referred me to a periodontist, who recommended a gum graft. The way he described the procedure, it sounds totally terrifying. In doing some research online, I found an alternative treatment called the Pinhole Surgical Technique, which seems much less invasive and does not involve any cutting or grafting. There are several dentists/periodontists in my area offering the Pinhole Surgical Technique, but none of them are on my short list of "top" doctors in my area. I can't seem to find negative, critical information about the Pinhole Surgical Technique online, either. Can anyone lend some insight? Is this procedure a good idea? I don't want to do it if it has serious risks or is much less likely to be successful.
Thanks!

Hello,
My two top front teeth have extremely receded gums, so my dentist referred me to a periodontist, who recommended a gum graft. The way he described the procedure, it sounds totally terrifying. In doing some research online, I found an alternative treatment called the Pinhole Surgical Technique, which seems much less invasive and does not involve any cutting or grafting. There are several dentists/periodontists in my area offering the Pinhole Surgical Technique, but none of them are on my short list of "top" doctors in my area. I can't seem to find negative, critical information about the Pinhole Surgical Technique online, either. Can anyone lend some insight? Is this procedure a good idea? I don't want to do it if it has serious risks or is much less likely to be successful.
Thanks!

The pinhole technique is still a relatively new technique so my concern is the longterm success and also how well the dentist is able to perform this procedure since it is relatively new. On the plus side because it is a smaller incision, it will create less swelling and pain.

Back