• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Plates in plain bright colours...is that possible and how can I get them?

D

Dawn65

I recently had 6 teeth taken from me under GA...was only expecting one wisdom tooth gone. I'll spare you the whole story now, but I am deeply traumatised.

They say plates will help me. In fact, I have no choice. I cannot eat properly and every mouthful is a stress, my physical health is declining.

But, I am squeamish. Even looking at pictures of dentures makes me feel sick. I can't cope with looking at something so grotesque in the bathroom every day, something that looks like the bits of me that were stolen from me, to have to put those in my self and clean them - I want to vomit at the thought.

I thought it might help, if I had something that fits like my teeth, but looks NOTHING like them, say all one colour plastic - or whatever they use, say bright blue or purple or anything, so long as they don't look like teeth.

I'm googling, but everything that comes up is to do with making them look as real as possible. The special care dentist seems to thing she should match them as close as possible to my own to make it better, but NO!!!!! I can't even look at them.

So, does such a thing exist? And how can I get them?

Notice, no replies to this one. Does that mean, they don't exist or no one knows?

I'd be curious as well... I did some googling but didn't come up with anything (apart from these funky tooth varnishes, but they only last up to 24 hours, and I don't know if they would work on acrylic: https://www.toothpolish.com/the-look/

@Gordon , any idea?

Funky varnishes???? What are they?

Oh, I see. Followed the link.

I think I would need the gum bit in the same colour though, so they just don't look like teeth or any other part of the human anatomy at all

The actual gum material could be almost any colour, including transparent.It might be more tricky to find denture teeth which were a funky colour.
You used to get blue denture teeth for students to practice on but I can't remember seeing them recently. In theory you could get almost any colour if you paid a dental technician to make them from scratch for you, but it would be expensive.

So, it's doable! Hurrah! Thank you. And I'd have to find a separate dental technition - have I got that right? K.

Can any one recommend a good one Warks or the West Mid or thereabouts?

A dentist with their lab tech could make a basic U form of plastic that would occlude with your opposing teeth while fitting on your gums. This would not have to have the same morphology of teeth. A plain "U" block could be made if that works for you. As to the color it could be just a very wide range. WHite, blue, tooth colored, clear, etc

Ooooh, thank you. This is interesting.

So, if I've got this straight, they would basically fit in my mouth fine, but not even be shaped like teeth. Sounds even better. I like the sound of this.

I guess if I spent the pennies I could have a few colours and turn something revolting into a fashion accessory. Change the colour to suit my clothes or whatever colour I've dyed my hair lately.

Yes, that would definitely help me feel a little bit better about my appearance and lessen the feeling of disgust.

You need a prescription from a dentist first, then you're looking for a Clinical Dental Technician, they should be appropriately registered with the GDC and have proper insurance and decontamination facilities, don't just rock up to a backstreet one.
Yes you could have pretty much any colour or a variety of them if that floats your boat, I've made a few dentures with "custom" bits and bobs, embedded photos, cartoons etc. Those patients generally wanted tooth like dentures but with their own little touches.

To be honest, your dentist should be happy to work with you towards this, it's part of the job for a special care dentist. They might even have access to a tech who would do it for you.

That's very useful thank you

Back