• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please complete the survey!!

H

Hygienetherapist2B

Hello, I am a student completing a research project and my chosen topic is dental phobia. I would like to accumulate a broad range of opinions and thoughts about the dentist, so please complete the survey below. Many thanks for your time!

Name:

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear.

2) What do you dislike about visiting the dentist?
Smell? _____________________
Noise?____________________
Other: __________________

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate......

4) How often do you visit your dentist?

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist?

6) Why would you book a dental appointment?

7) Have you ever tried any of the following approaches during dental treatment.

a) Intravenous sedation
b) general anaesthetic
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air)
d) Hypnosis
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc)
other....

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition?

Many thanks for taking the time to complete the survey!:)

Name: Brit

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 1 with the right dentist!

Smell? _There is no smell thesedays - it used to be a factor though as a child____________________
Noise?___Of drill - only bothers me if it hurts_________________
Other: __Pain and poor chairside manner, lack of control________________

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate......
3 x Scary old-fashioned horrible-smelling gas mask GA 1960s (UK), on one occasion not properly under and felt some pain
Teeth drilled without LA in 1972 - was unnecessary infliction of pain. (UK)
Rough painful hygienist 2006 and LA cock-up for filling (not UK)
Every 6 months....but as an adult basically I only stay with dentists I like and trust
No never - greatest fear was as a child.

Regular appointments always booked

a) Intravenous sedation -no
b) general anaesthetic - several times as a child in 1960s - not pleasant but not painful(except once when I struggled going under) & also in hospital as an adult for wisdom teeth extraction (good experience)
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) - no
d) Hypnosis - no
other.... I choose pleasant practices with soft background music etc

Yes very but I do not really consider myself to suffer from it. I am very fussy and always seek out 'painless caring' dentists because of my historic bad experiences.

Last edited:
Name: Private

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear.

Smell? Yes
Noise? Yes
Other: Fear of pain and loss of control

Yes, more than one dentist who refused to believe I was in pain and proceeded with treatment. One who actually seemed to enjoy inflicting pain.

Having treatment now, first time in about 20 years.

Yes

Extreme pain or (in this case) inability to eat/smile.

a) Intravenous sedation - Not yet, later this month
b) general anaesthetic - No
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) - No
d) Hypnosis - No
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) - No
other....

Definately

Name:

It used to be a 10 (and was that way for more than 20 years) until I found a wonderful and caring dentist a few months ago. Now, I'd have to say it's around a 3.

Other: fear of the unknown, unsympathetic dentists

I had a dentist once who seemed to think the solution for everything was just to pull teeth. He also scolded me every time I saw him and would tell me that I was going to lose all of my teeth by the time I was 20. He pretended that he was unable to remove the mold for a dental impression from my mouth and told me that the only way to get it out was to pull all of my teeth out with it. Not as traumatic as some stories but it stuck with me and kept me away from all dentists for a very long time because I was afraid I'd lose all of my teeth.

Prior to a few months ago, I hadn't been in about 20 years. Since then, I've been in a few times for treatments (one crown, one filling, and a few cleanings....so much for the other dentist's assertion that I was going to lose all of my teeth).

Now, I fully intend to go for regular cleanings twice a year.

Absolutely. I had only ever had one filling before I stopped going to the dentist. When that filling fell out about 15 years ago, I just decided that I would chew on the other side of my mouth. There was no way that I was going to go to a dentist to get it checked out.

On the other hand, such was my terror and my determination to stay away from the dentist that I tried to take good care of my teeth so that I wouldn't have any reason to need to visit a dentist. That is the only way in which my dental phobia was a good thing. I was pretty faithful about brushing.

I ended up booking an appointment this past October because I developed TMJ problems.

a) Intravenous sedation no
b) general anaesthetic no
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) yes - when I was about 13
d) Hypnosis no
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) yes - this is the only type of distraction offered by my current dentist. She does not offer sedation.
other....

Absolutely. It inhibits regular/normal social function. It inhibits sleep. it destroys self confidence. The fear is so paralyzing that it takes over all rational thought. Finally, since poor oral health/hygiene have been linked to other ailments, such as heart problems, the inability to bring oneself to visit a dentist can have serious and irreversible physical consequences.

Name: Michael

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. about a 6

Smell? ____the burning of teeth during drilling_________________
Noise?________the godawful drill____________
Other: _______the big stainless steel needle from hell!!___________

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate......having had 3 teeth extracted without getting totaly numb, and also a very mean dentist

4) How often do you visit your dentist? every 6 months

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? can't due to being forced by parents to go

6) Why would you book a dental appointment?I wouldent if I had a choice

a) Intravenous sedation Yes, its like taking a nap and waking up with it all done.
b) general anaesthetic Havent had this for dental work but have had it for surgerys and its basically the same as I/V
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air)...My favorite of the sedations...it really helps me to relax and be comfortable at dentist
d) Hypnosis, nope
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) I always listen to my ipod along with nitrous at the office but the music gets a metallic ringing sensation to it and all the songs sound the same. Due to the gas
other....

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition?yes, because it can hinder your oral health and in turn cause you to lose self esteem and pride and put you in a state of depression

Last edited:
Name:

At the moment, 9 - 10

Smell?
Noise?
Other:

All of the above, plus fear of being out of control, being lectured, being ridiculed, being subjected to painful procedures, too many reasons to list. The whole experience scares me.

I was held down in the chair by a dental nurse whilst being given gas for an extraction. I was about 6 or 7 at the time.

I haven't been in almost 30 years. Last time I tried to go, a few years ago, I was physically sick.

Yes. I tend to think that if I ignore the problems, they'll go away.

The only reason I'm here now is that I don't want to pass on my fear to my son.

a) Intravenous sedation not yet
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) yes, but not by choice (see above)
d) Hypnosis no
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) no
other....

Absolutely. Although many people try to be sympathetic, it's impossible to understand just how debilitating this fear is, and how much is affects your life unless you have been through it yourself. The utter terror a phobic feels is impossible to explain.

Last edited:
Name: Erin

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 5

Smell? Doesn't bother me
Noise? Mildly intimidating
Other: The pain I know I'll be in later

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate...... None

4) How often do you visit your dentist? Every 6 months for cleaning and whenever I have a problem

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? No

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? If something is happening to my teeth that doesn't seem normal to me (pain, swelling, etc.)

a) Intravenous sedation yes
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) yes
d) Hypnosis no
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) no
other.... Xanax

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? It can be depending on the intensity of the phobia

Sent it in a pm.

Name: DANI
1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. ABOUT A 5, DEPENDING ON PROCEDURE OF THE DAY

Smell? IT USED TO BE - IT ISN'T ANY LONGER. I WORK IN THE SAME BUILDING AS MY CHOSEN DENTIST
Noise? MOST DEFINITELY
Other: SEEING THE TOOLS

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate = AS A CHILD, THE DENTIST HAD SCARS ON HIS HANDS FROM BEING BITTEN. I AM AN ABUSE SURVIVOR, AND HAVE AN ASSOCIATION OF GOING TO THE DENTIST AND BEING TAKEN THERE BY THE PERSON WHO ABUSED ME

NOT NEARLY AS OFTEN AS I SHOULD - ONCE RESTORATIVE WORK IS COMPLETE, I FULLY PLAN ON EVERY-6-MONTH SCHEDULE

YES - THIS IS WHY I HAVE TWO EXTRACTIONS

RIGHT NOW - OUT OF NECESSITY TO FIX AN EMERGENCY.

a) Intravenous sedation NO
b) general anaesthetic NO
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) YES
d) Hypnosis NO
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) YES
other.... HALCION AND VALIUM PRIOR TO VISIT

ABSOLUTELY = DENTAL CARE IS THE LEAST EXPENSIVE FORM OF MEDICALLY CARING FOR ONESELF. AND IN MY OPINION, IS THE LEAST ATTENDED TO. THIS IS A *VERY* SERIOUS ISSUE

Many thanks for taking the time to complete the survey

Name:

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. Used to be about a 9... now it's about 3

Smell?
Noise?
Other: pain, seeing the tools, being lectured/embarrassed, having someone poking around in my mouth, hearing bad news about my teeth... pretty much everything.

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate...... When I was 14, I had crowns put on my two front teeth that I had broken as a child. The shots hurt so bad that I fainted, and they got mad at me.

4) How often do you visit your dentist? I'm having a lot of work done right now, so I've been to the dentist about 10-11 times in the last 7 months.

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? Yes. Because of my fear, I didn't go to the dentist for 21 years.

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? I finally made an appointment when my front teeth broke and I couldn't smile any more and I never wanted to leave the house because people would see me. Now I make appointments when the dentist tells me he wants to see me, or if I have a problem.

a) Intravenous sedation Yes
b) general anaesthetic No
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) Yes
d) Hypnosis No
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) No
other.... Halcion, and focusing on my breathing

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? Yes, definitely. I ruins your health and self esteem.

Name: Pam

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 8 to 9

Noise? Yes
Other: Pain, gagging, fear of the unkown

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate...... Once when i was about 10 I had a very bad toothache and needed a filling. When the dentist came towards me with the needle I gripped the chair and shut my eyes and could feel the tears starting. The dentist yelled at me, telling me if I didn't stop crying he wouldn't fix my tooth and then I wouldn't be able to eat and starve to death. He was a horrible man who had no patience with children and is the main cause of my fear. (Unfortunately, that's just one of a few bad experiences during childhood)

4) How often do you visit your dentist? Currently, every 4 months

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? Yes, over 17 years

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? In the past, only if I was in extreme pain and it was an emergency. Now, I'm trying to break the cycle and have been going faithfully for over a year.

a) Intravenous sedation No
b) general anaesthetic Yes
d) Hypnosis No
other.... Music

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? Absolutely, poor oral health can affect a person's health overall. In addition, some live with pain and horrible guilt and anxiety if they aren't able to make themselves see a dentist. It's a defeating feeling and can cause self esteem issues.

Name: Charity

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. Until this week, 9 to 10. Since my recent visit and discovery of this forum, about 6. Update, 2/08-- I think I've got it down to a 3 or 4 now!!

Other: Being able to feel and hear the procedures, total awareness of what's going on

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate...... Absolutely. About three years ago, the pain of a severely infected tooth forced me to a dentist despite my terrible fear. They extracted the tooth for me, but the anesthesia was not effective and I was not sedated at all. I was fully awake and aware, able to feel and hear every moment of the procedure. I was traumatized by the experience, and went straight home to bed for several days. I swore I would never go back to a dentist again, even if all of my teeth rotted out of my mouth.

4) How often do you visit your dentist? I only went back to a dentist this month for the first time since my bad encounter. I've already had two visits, and have two more to complete my treatment. I plan to keep these appointments, and then to maintain a regular 6-month schedule.

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? Absolutely! For years, I wouldn't go at all until the pain was simply more than I could bear any longer.

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? Only because I had reached the end of my rope! From now on, though, I'll be having regular checkups and treatment as needed.

a) Intravenous sedation No
d) Hypnosis No
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) No
other.... Xanax, 3mg

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? Without a doubt. Anything that prevents so many people from getting the health care that they so desperately need is quite serious, don't you think?

Last edited:
Name:

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. Used to be ten, now about 7

Smell? Yes
Noise? only of the small drill with teh high pitched sound
Other: pain, seeing the tools, having someone poking around in my mouth,
3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate Very painful root treatment and extraction when i was about 16.
4) How often do you visit your dentist? now i go every 6 months

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? Yes.

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? Used to be only in emergency, but now i do go every 6 months to prevent any more problems

a) Intravenous sedation Yes
d) Hypnosis No
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) yes (doesn't work)

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? Yes,

Name: Queenie

Used to be about 25 - now I'd say 0-1

Other: __________________

Again, used to be terrified, now nothing. A lot of my previous fear was due to humiliiation at the state of my teeth.

My shildhood dentist was a butcher, who frightened me so much I would not see a dentist at all.

Dentist annually, hygienist every six months.

Yes, for over 30 years.

I took desperation (breaking a front tooth) to get me there.

a) Intravenous sedation - no
b) general anaesthetic - no
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) - yes, at my first visit
d) Hypnosis - no
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) - no
other....

Yes, very.

Many thanks for taking the time to complete the survey!

:grouphug: Thank you good people, for your time in replying, including those who PM'd me!
Your experiences will provide some valuable help to get me started, so thanks for sharing! :respect:

Name: Private

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 10+

Smell? Sometimes
Noise? Yes, the drill
Other: The way they poke around tender and sore areas as though they enjoy causing you pain.

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate...... As a child the dentist would hold you down whilst digging at your teeth. They were nasty, horrid men who yelled at us kids and told us to shut up when we cried.

4) How often do you visit your dentist? Until recently I hadn't been for over 20 years and only went when I was in pain and had to go.

5) Have you ever ignored your dental health due to fear of the dentist? Yes, for over 20 years, before that it was a good 15 years between visits.

6) Why would you book a dental appointment? If I was in pain or if a tooth needed to be removed ... no other reason.

a) Intravenous sedation Yes, just had it for 2 extractions.
b) general anaesthetic Yes, once for an extraction (sodium penthanol).
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) Yes a few times for an extraction.
d) Hypnosis No
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) No You spelled techniques wrong ;)
other.... Tried nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for a cleaning but I'm in the 1% of the population who can't have it. It has the reverse affect on me.

8) Do you consider dental phobia a serious condition? Most definitely, especially if it causes you to avoid going to a dentist and endangering your health.

Last edited by a moderator:
Name: Northern Lass

1) How would you rate your dislike of the dentist on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being minimal and 10 being absolute fear. 9

Smell? Yes
Noise? The drill
Other:Judgement; comment. Lack of control

Yes. Comments and criticism. Also a tendancy in 1980s NHS to just drill and fill whenever and whatever was needed. Plus when I had wisdom teeth out as an 18 year old I was very sick and in great pain and shock. Was told it was nothing; not to 'be a baby'. I didn't go back for ten years.

I went this week due to huge pain. An abscess. Before than more than 4 years ago.

Totally

Am now trying to address my many dental health issues

a) Intravenous sedation Yes, for wisdom teeth
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) No
d) Hypnosis No
e) Distraction techniques (music, pictures etc)No
other.... Breathing techniques I think can help and could be taught to more of us

TOTALLY. It is keeping many people in pain and distress. On a superficial and sad level I haven't smiled with confidence in over 10 years

Name: Anna

9 - I'm terrified, but I'll go if I have to

Smell? yes, very much - almost makes me faint
Noise? yes, drill and the sound all the small instruments make
Other: feeling humiliated, feeling helpless

3) Have you ever had a bad experience at the dentist which has left a lasting negative impression? If so, please elaborate:

As a child we never got injections before drilling and for me going to the dentist was just a time of extreme pain. I remember crying in the dentist chair and being held to sit still. I have very sensitive teeth and always feel pain.

I haven't been for several years, before I used to go once a year. I am wearing partial dentures and actually now plan to have full dentures to no longer have to deal with all this fear and pain.

yes

When I start noticing pain

a) Intravenous sedation - no
b) general anaesthetic - no
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) - no
d) Hypnosis - no
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc) - no
other....

yes, it affects my entire life
:hidesbehindsofa:

Name: Kelli

8 Before finding this site and facing my fear
4 Now. I rarely feel nervous when the subject of the dentist comes up anymore so usually I feel minimal fear, the few days prior to an appointment and especially the morning of I would rate my fear a 6 or 7.

Smell? some smells, latex gloves and "sharp" smell of the water? But I find that I don't notice them as much as I used to.
Noise? The noise of the drills, and other tools can make me uncomfortable but now I bring my MP3 player to help drown them out.
Other: The thing I dislike most about the dentist is pain (usually the fear/ anticipation of pain), being uncomfortable, loss of control, and lately the cost! (although that is more stress than fear) :)

Yes, when I was 6 or 7 my sister and I both needed cavities filled, they did hers first and let my mom and me sit in the room and watch, I saw a tear fall down her cheek and started screaming "they're killing her!" THEN it was my turn. I was terrified and told the dentist that I had to go to the bathroom. Annoyed, he let me go to the bathroom but when I came back and sat in the chair I said I felt like I was going to throw up and his male hygenist (looked like a former body builder) said too bad, he'd had kids throw up in his hands before. Then they held me down in the chair while I struggled so much that I kicked the light.
After that I didn't have any bad experiences but my fear was bad that appts were like torture, I would burst into tears if anyone even mentioned the word dentist. We ended up switching dentist many times and just when I would start to feel comfortable with one dentist we would have a new one.

I just started going back after over six years of not going because of my fear. I have been twice in the last month and have two more appts set up for within the next 5 months.

Yes, for over six years I didn't go to the dentist due to fear even though I had broken teeth and knew I had cavities.

I finally booked an appointment when a front tooth chipped, now I have been going back for the treatments I need and have already booked my 6 month appt. and plan on going every 6 months or whenever a problems comes up from now on.

a) Intravenous sedation: No
b) general anaesthetic: No
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air): No
d) Hypnosis: No
e) Distraction techniqes (music, pictures etc): Yes
other.... Have used Xanax (anti-anxiety drug) for more stressful appts (fillings, etc)

Yes, I think it is hard for people who don't have it to understand and therefore many people push it aside and are unsympathetic towards dental phobics. I think it is important for dentists and others working in dental offices to learn more about dental phobia and be caring and understanding of patients who suffer from it.

Last edited:
Hello, I am a student completing a research project and my chosen topic is dental phobia. I would like to accumulate a broad range of opinions and thoughts about the dentist, so please complete the survey below. Many thanks for your time!

Name: BabyBlue

9 probably

Smell? Yep_____________________
Noise? Yep____________________
Other: Well, about everything. The Pain, and laying down in that chair.__________________

Not really, just my mouth is really sensitive.

Once or twice a year, not sure.

Kind of... I just never mentioned if I had a tooth ache or anything

My mom does it.

a) Intravenous sedation Nope
b) general anaesthetic Nope
c) inhaled sedation (gas and air) Yeah
d) Hypnosis Nope
other.... Yeah (doesn't work for me)

I think it can be (if it causes hypertension or something)

Many thanks for taking the time to complete the survey!:)[/qu:thumbsup:ote]

Back