• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please help! Any OTC pain relief suggestion for post wisdom tooth extraction?

E

elenzen

Please help! Any OTC pain relief suggestion for post wisdom tooth extraction?

Hi all,

I am 27, female. I posted a week ago when I was terrified to take my lower wisdom tooth out(it was fully erupted but had a cavity). Dentist told me it took longer than he thought (around 20 minutes instead of 5-he thought it would only take 5 minutes) as one of the roots was curly (something like that).

Anyway all in all, the actual extraction wasn't that bad. The first day was fine, minimal pain. But day 2 until now(day 5) every time the pain relief goes off ( I am taking nurofen (ibuprofen), tried paracetamol and ponstan, didn't work) I have the most excruciating throbbing pain ever. I can only take it every 4 hours, but it wears off every two hours, so I have to endure this awful pain for two hours every time and night is even worse.

I went to the dentist today, he didn't really explain to me what's wrong, he just said that sometimes it takes longer for it to heal, but I am guessing from what I've read on here and online in general, it's a dry socket.

He gave me antibiotics (metronidazole) to take for 5 days and if I don't feel better in two days, I will go again so he can clean the socket and put a dressing on it (dry socket treatment if I am not mistaken).

My questions are: as dry socket is rare how did I get it? I followed the post-op instructions (soft food diet, no rinsing first 24 hours, no smoking, no straws etc) and didn't see any blood clot coming out, or moving around.

If it is dry socket (which I think it is), why didn't the dentist clean it today and he wants to wait to see if antibiotics work?

I am also scared that the infection will spread everywhere and I will suffer more. Is this possible? Can the infection in the socket cause me serious problems???

My final and most important question, is there any over-the-counter pain relief medication stronger than ibuprofen so I don't feel this awful pain every two hours?

Many thanks in advance.

Elen

Re: Please help! Any OTC pain relief suggestion for post wisdom tooth extraction?

I had all 4 wisdoms and LL7 out last Monday. I had to take pain relief constantly until the Sunday as i was in a lot of pain. I found Cocodamol every 6 hours and Ibuprofen every 4 keep it to a minimum. I had to set an alarm to wake me up in the night to take the next dose otherwise I would wake up in agony if it had worn off.

Re: Please help! Any OTC pain relief suggestion for post wisdom tooth extraction?

Hi Snowberry,

Many many thanks for your reply. I will give it a go tomorrow morning. I hope you feel better now.

Back