• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please help - bottom front teeth rotting and chipping

A

Ari31

Hello and thanks for any advice in advance,
I'll try to be brief. I'm 31, have never been to the dentist due to lack of insurance, and am currently working to secure Medicaid to seek dental help. My teeth are a mess, I'm sure in ways I don't even know. But what is really causing me anxiety and extreme depression is the fact that the back of my bottom front teeth have begun chipping and rotting away in pieces over the last year or so.
I'm wondering:
1) is there anything I can do to show down this rotting until I can get to the dentist?
2) what can I expect as far as treatment for this? In assuming I will have to have teeth in the front pulled, and from there I have no idea what to expect.
3) I'm a musician and I'm really scared that false teeth or implants or whatever will dramatically change my word pronunciation when I sing and if anyone can speak to that from person experience, I'd appreciate it.

I'm just so intensely brought down by this situation. It feels like an inescapable nightmare right now. I'm terrified of going to the dentist but even more terrified of not going or not being able to afford a fix. Sorry to rant there.

Thanks again,
Ari31

Hi, I know exactly how you feel! I had not been to the dentist for 24 years due to dental fear! but after losing a front bottom tooth at work I knew I had to seek some help for this. with tears in my eyes and full of anxiety I made an appointment with a local dentist! my biggest fear was that the dentist would judge me and shame me for The condition of my teeth! I finally went to the appointment and the dentist was very kind and caring. I did have to have my lower teeth in the front extracted and a partial denture placed in. I have had no problems with my lower partial at all. I can eat and talk and sing I have no lisp or change in my speech. The only problem I have is food gets under the partial sometimes but I just rinse it off. I go back in January to have my upper teeth extracted and another partial placed so I hope this one works out just as well. my advice to you is get to the dentist as soon as possible your teeth may not be as bad as you think. I have read about others who had not been to the dentist in years and they just needed a deep cleaning. but regardless you have to get to the dentist for your own physical health and mental health. don't be like me and wait 24 years worrying and crying because I was so afraid when actually there was nothing to be afraid of. I hope this Has been helpful to you! you can do this don't waste your time worrying. The dental profession has come so far and there is so much they can do to help you. so step beyond your fear and make that first appointment everything will work out fine I promise! take care and keep us posted on how you were doing!

I had my four upper fronts extracted 8 days ago (I'm mid 40's) and I was really worried about speech but I'm OK - I'm great actually!
I saw somewhere online to practise the words 65-70 and if you have those you can pretty much do anything - so I did that on day one. Nailed it!

I have been working from home this week to recover and learn to eat etc - been chatting with friends and work colleagues on the phone and been singing my head off too! I sound just like me - I can hear it and so can my friends also.
If anything I speak better as I pronounce words better.
Eating - yeah a bit tougher but speaking is way easier than I ever dreamed it would be.

Honestly though - I am so much more comfortable, happier, free of pain - like - no - love my new teeth!
I haven't yet found anything that has made this a bad choice to have made.

Yes it was scary, it hurt less than the pain I was having all the time, I have had to learn new things but OMG! My life is changing - just due to my new teeth!

I do take diazepam for dental appointments as I have bad dentist phobia - but it means I can do it - and I know I can do it.

Back