• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please help! Cracked molar

L

laceygirl78

Hi Everyone! I had a cracked molar (2nd to last on upper right side) with an old silver filling that I had refilled about a month ago. Prior to the new filling, the tooth only bothered me when biting down on hard food. After the filling everything felt great but my dentist recommended a crown as the tooth structure was too weak on its own. So I just had the crown prep done last week (Thurs) and immediately after the freezing wore off my tooth hurt. It's not sensitive to hot and cold. It has a dull ache and immediately hurts when I bite down on anything. Even cupcakes! Even the dental films they use to take your xray! My gums and cheek are also very sore to the touch (I was told probably due to a sore injection site). I have followed up with my dentist and had more xrays. He then adjusted the bite. He figures it will resolve itself after the permanent crown is placed but I am scared the the tooth has a cracked root or needs a root canal. He said it it either air getting under it when i bite or it still has a small crack. I really don't feel comfortable putting a permanent crown over such a sensitive tooth, but he insists it will make the pain stop as it will provide more support to the tooth. He also said that we can always do a root canal through the crown later. I now have set up an appointment for a second opinion from an endodontist, but am terrified. Last time my dentist tried to take the temp off, he didn't freeze it (he did eventually) and it was very painful. My friends tell me I should just have it pulled as my insurance has now been maxed out and I am paying out of pocket. Besides if it does turn out to be a cracked root, it would have to be pulled anyway after spending thousands to save it. Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated :)

Re: Please help!

Do you feel the sharp pain biting down on the tooth, or does the pain comes when releasing the bite? I have read that for cracked tooth, the pain usually comes when releasing the bite.

There is a possibility that the crown prep irritated the tooth and hence you are getting more pain than before. If you really don't feel comfortable getting a crown on the tooth now, perhaps postpone getting the crown and avoid chewing on that side of your mouth for a couple of weeks and see if the tooth settles or more symptoms present itself.

Do you feel the sharp pain biting down on the tooth, or does the pain comes when releasing the bite? I have read that for cracked tooth, the pain usually comes when releasing the bite.

There is a possibility that the crown prep irritated the tooth and hence you are getting more pain than before. If you really don't feel comfortable getting a crown on the tooth now, perhaps postpone getting the crown and avoid chewing on that side of your mouth for a couple of weeks and see if the tooth settles or more symptoms present itself.

Hi and thanks for your response! I feel it when I bite down and when I release. It's weird. It feels like it did when I had the crack (before all this started) but like 10 times worse. I will be seeing an endodontist today for a second opinion. I'll keep you posted ;)

Please help!

Endo for a second opinion sounds like exactly the right plan. He may be having you wait to see if it gets better - because sometimes it can. But, if you’ve reached a point where the pain is intolerable or is getting worse, root canal may be the only option - that’s just based in my experience.

So just got back from my endo appointment. He recommended waiting 1 month with the temp on to see if things settle down. He said if a root canal needs to be done it is better to get it done before the crown and also while the nerve is still healthy (which it is at this point-just irritated). It's an angry little tooth lol :giggle: Anyhow, I prebooked an appointment with him to get the root canal on March 6th. I am supposed to keep him updated on my pain level and I can always cancel if the tooth miraculously calms down before then. Basically he showed me my xray and showed me that my filling is very close to the nerve. So it could be a crack or it could be just the filling irritating the nerve. Either way the root canal will need to be done eventually unless I want to lose my tooth or be in constant pain. So now I'm terrified! I have only ever had a few routine fillings (my teeth are basically virgins) and I am petrified of the whole process. I have extreme anxiety normally, but this dentist stuff just pushes me over the edge. Thanks for listening :)

Please help!

I’ve had 4 root canals (5 if you count the retreatment) and I can honestly say they were no worse than fillings. Happy to answer any questions about the process if that would help.

Laceygirl,

I can vouch too for what fearful said , I was petrified thinking about root canal and the thoughts... but my old dentist I had was such a pro i didn't feel a thing.. once the anesthetic kicked in, he made sure I had enough. Explain your fears and see if he listens and respects you , if so. that would put my mind to ease . I hope all goes well!! keep us up to date! and hope your tooth settles down and you get some relief before then!!

I have been giving it lots of thought and I really think that all this is more than likely being caused by the filling being right next to the nerve, rather than a crack. It hurts when the shock of my foot hitting the ground radiates up into my mouth. It hurt a lot more before the bite adjustment (when the filling was more than likely pressing against the nerve when I was biting down). The filling is literally sitting on top of the nerve. The weird thing is he just replaced an old filling. It was already that deep and had been there for 30 years prior with no problems. But maybe the whole opening up of an old wound process set off some sort of pulpitis. Hopefully the reversible kind though. Thoughts?:hmm:

Please help!

Sometimes just messing with the tooth too much can cause the nerve to get angry. Also, when replacing a filling they almost always have to drill away a little bit more tooth in order to make sure they’ve cleaned everything out that they need to. Unfortunately, the only way to know if it’s going to get better is to wait it out for a bit. Fingers crossed for you that it gets better!

So my root canal is scheduled for tomorrow. I have mixed feelings. Glad for this pain to finally be gone but very nervous about the appointment itself. I have never had a root canal and am literally terrified. It stems back from when I was a child (same tooth ironically enough). It was my first filling (the giant amalgam one that cracked) and the dentist didn't freeze me properly. Ever since I have been very scared of the drill. Any experiences with root canals? Thanks :)

Root canal is in 6 hours, anyone have some advice? I’m so nervous?

In my experience when it comes to fear, the mind makes it way worse than the reality of it. I had a root canal a few years ago on a cracked molar. My one and only root canal. I was terrified going into it. Couldn't sleep. You hear horror stories. But the truth is I felt absolutely nothing. The hardest part for me was staying awake during the procedure.

While you're sitting in the chair keep telling yourself. Every minute that passes is one minute closer to being done. You will be just fine.

Well it's been two weeks post root canal (which wasn't nearly as bad as I thought!) and I am still in pain. The throbbing nerve pain is definitely gone, but it's like the socket my tooth sits in is sore. I can feel it when I sleep on that side of my face at night. I did have similar pain after the crown prep as well, but I thought it was from all those injections. Who knows? I haven't been able to chew on the tooth as the temp crown has been removed and it's completely out of occlusion.

Anyhow, I saw my dentist last week and he tapped on the tooth and I nearly jumped out of the chair! I have no idea how the tooth can still hurt at this point (with no nerves). My dentist told me to wait two more weeks and if it doesn't settle, extraction is my only option. I asked him about the crack and he said my symptoms didn't seem to indicate the crack was a problem? During the root canal, the endo told me there was still a crack (sort of at the bottom by where the nerve was) but obviously didn't think it was a big deal and he carried out the root canal anyhow.

What I don't get is how this all happened? I think it was the crown prep that pushed me over the edge as I was fine after the original filling (took away pain on biting). I wish I would have just left it...

I don't know who to trust. I feel like no one really knows what is happening and would rather just extract it or call me crazy, then actually diagnose the real problem. I find myself not being able to trust the professionals and feel like I may even need a third opinion here?

My follow up with my endo and dentist is tomorrow. Hopefully they will not recommend extraction... Wish me luck :cry:

Let us know how it goes! I understand your frustrations and fear. Hoping you find relief and all goes well. Keep us posted!

I don't know who to trust. I feel like no one really knows what is happening and would rather just extract it or call me crazy, then actually diagnose the real problem. I find myself not being able to trust the professionals and feel like I may even need a third opinion here?

My follow up with my endo and dentist is tomorrow. Hopefully they will not recommend extraction... Wish me luck :cry:

Sorry to hear that the tooth still haven't settled.
If I were you, I would go for a third opinion. Or fourth. Or fifth. till I would fell like the dentist really knows what he/she is talking about. I know it's exhausting, but if you do not trust your dentist, then even the right diagnose and treatment will still feel like doing the wrong thing.

So had a CT Scan done of my tooth (endo wanted to check his work) and all was good. He did say, however, that my sinuses were full of fluid. He figures this could explain the sensitivity. The good news is that when he tapped on my tooth, although I could still feel it, it sure hurt a lot less than before! Keep you all posted after my dentist appointment in a few hours with my regular dentist :)

For some reason my dentist seems "hell bent" on putting on the permanent crown. He said that there is no way this type of pain is coming from the crack in my tooth and it will settle down in 3 months to 1 year! Ouch. Basically I just have to live with it. I am feeling like maybe he is right? My endo wants to put me on steroids for the sinus infection/inflammation. Not sure about that either :hmm:

I decided to go get a second opinion from another general dentist. I am going to see if they would be willing to make and place a temporary crown on my tooth until it settles. I really don't feel comfortable with my current dentist and will not be returning to him. Anyone know how complicated it is the make a new tooth mold without the tooth? It has been filed down for the previous crown and it no longer in it's original form. My current dentist is refusing to make one and told me either I put on the permanent crown (he has in his office) and live with the pain or get it pulled. I don't feel comfortable with either option.

Wish me luck. Appts on Monday :)

Anyone know how complicated it is the make a new tooth mold without the tooth? It has been filed down for the previous crown and it no longer in it's original form.

It is not complicated. An impression is taken after the tooth has been prepped (filed down) for the lab to fabricate a crown that will fit the newly prepped tooth. So any dentist you go to can just take the mold and save them the trouble of having to prep the tooth. But having said that, I think you can expect to have some minor filing (for better shaping?) of the tooth here and there.

My current dentist is refusing to make one and told me either I put on the permanent crown (he has in his office) and live with the pain or get it pulled. I don't feel comfortable with either option.

Good luck on Monday and hold on. Good to get a second opinion, you should never accept a treatment from a dentist you do not feel comfortable with... and definitely not from one who sees 'living with the pain' as an option :naughty:

Holding my fingers crossed for you.

Back