• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

please help me

G

Former Member
Hi i'm looking for some advice with regards to my teeth,well lack of them really.When i was younger i had a very bad time with the dentist which has put me off going to them.So over the years my teeth are now rotten when i get toothace i just take tablets,bite asprin onto it which cures the pain and then i'm ok for a good while.I'm wanting to have all my teeth out and get false one's but i can't bring myself to go in the dentists.I'm no longer reg with a dentist,i've even seen my doctor about it but he can't help me.What i really need is to be admitted to hospital knocked out cold and all my teeth taken out.I just can't go into a dentist and have them taken out.I'm getting really down about it now has i can't smile because of the state of my mouth,i want to get married but i can't because the photos would look bad because of the state of my mouth.I sit watching tv and i'm for ever looking at peoples teeth wishing that i had them,i'm getting depressed about them now.So can you please give me some advice on how i can get my teeth sorted out,has i say i really need to be knocked out cold for this and then it's getting me into a dentist.I can't even take my kids to the dentist because i'm that scared of them.So please can you help me your my last hope my doctor can't help me,i can't go into a dentist.

When or if someone can help me i have a feeling they'd have to cut my gums to get parts of broken teeth out has they've snapped over the years and left bits in the gums.I no some may laugh about this has i'm 35 years old and scared of a dentist.I'm sick of trying to talk to people without them seeing any of my teeth and not been able to smile at people.I'm totally embarrsed by the state of them.It's heartbreaking to see my mate's who've got perfect teeth,so i really need to get some help.Even reading this forum amking me feel sick at the thought of dentists so please help me

Hi, I'm new here too but I just wanted to say I don't think anyone here will laugh at you. To me your fear is very real and very understandable.

I'm not 100% sure, but to do the kind of procedure you are describing I think they will have to put you to sleep anyways. Do you have a fear of that as well? I mean, does knowing that you won't be conscious for it make it any easier to make the first step? It also sounds like they won't do anything on the first appointment except for xrays and the like, again, not 100% sure about procedure in your case. But, you can tell them all you want them to do is look and tell you what should be done. Then you can decided from there, but at least you'll have the first step overwith.

I'm trying to make that first appointment myself and I posted here yesterday and even by talking about it to people who know where I'm coming from has made me feel better about making the appointment which I think I'll make monday. I know if I do it today I'll just be worrying the whole weekend, so I'd rather live in ignorant bliss for the weekend. I was afraid of the cleaning because I have an area where a couple teeth are worn around the gumline, I guess where the plaque has worn away my teeth, and I was scared of them digging around there. But, after reading some things on the site, I realized I can ask the dentist if there will be cleaning in that area or if it is something that can be filled. At least I'll know if they plan on working in the area or not, and asking them to either ease up on it or not touch it at all depending on what she tells me. I actually think it will need to be filled so it won't be an issue. Before yesterday I wouldn't have been so logical about that. Also I've been thinking about how much plaque is on my teeth that I can't see, and how it will be a relief to have them cleaned. Basically I'm trying to use mind over matter.

So I hope being here helps you and your decision, I realized I've rambled about myself a bit but I hope it all helps!

Hi teeth :welcome:

Well, I can certainly relate to your fears, as can all of us on this board, so you've come to the right place for help and support.
I wasnt registered with a dentist either and had moved to the highlands, but i phoned the Dental helpline who put me in touch with a community dentist in the area.

Is this an option for you? Are you in the UK? Will you be looking for an NHS or private dental practice? ( sorry for asking all these questions.... but it will help us to point you in the right direction)

Please try not to beat yourself up about your broken teeth and having them cut out..this isnt always the case! I had some broken off too at gum level and didnt have to have them cut out. In fact, I've been told that most times, these broken teeth are easier to come out. At my first appointment I was expecting to be told that I'd need them all removed but I was surprised to learn that this wasnt the case. You might find that too!

Please let us know where you are and we can take things from there :XXLhug:

I'm from the uk m8,i'd feel 100% better if i'm out for the count to take them out and they can do them all in one go instead of having to go back x amount of times.I'm claiming jobseekers so i get it free anyway so mneys no problem.The hardest part is getting in the nhs to sort me out tho

I have to have ALL my treatment done under IV sedation (even the scaling/cleaning) so I know how you feel. I asked to have all mine out too and be over and done with dentists! But, having done some research and been given advice, it is better to try and save at least a few teeth....... at least on the bottom. Wait and see what they say when you find a dentist.

What part of the UK? (i'm trying to find the dental helpline phone number I used to pass it on to you) If i cant find it, I will try e-mailing them up here.....they may be able to give me the details for your area.

I'm in the north of england m8,sorry for the question but whats IV sedation?is that a needle in the arm and which knocks you out cold

rotten teeth(Guest) said:
I'm in the north of england m8,sorry for the question but whats IV sedation?is that a needle in the arm and which knocks you out cold

IV sedation is where you are fully awake but are still concious, I spoke with a dentist about this yesterday as I have to have 3 teeth pulled and dont think i can do it only using a local, He described it to me as feeling as though you had about 10 G+t's and although you are still awake there is a feel of amnesia about it as you wont care what they are doing to you, even though you will be aware of whats going on around you and will be able to fully co-operate with the dentist through the procedure you wont remeber anything about it after

Sounds good to me!

Hi

There's some info about IV sedation here:

Basically yes it is a needle in the arm and although it doesn't actually knock you out completely like a general anaesthetic does, it does make you so relaxed that you don't really know much about what's going on - and the best bit for most people is that they don't remember much about it afterwards either.

There are also other methods of sedation available including oral (pills) and inhalation (nitrous oxide - also known as laughing gas), you can read more about them here:

Depending on where you are (some areas seem to be a lot better than others for NHS treatment for phobics), there may be a local community dental service that you could maybe get in touch with. You can also search the NHS website.

I used to think that having all my teeth out would be a good idea because if I got dentures I'd never have to go back to the dentist ever again! ;D But when I asked my previous dentist about this, he said that even people with dentures still have to go to the dentist - and quite often a lot more than you'd think because you can still have problems even with dentures :(. Much as I didn't like his answer, I have to admit that he had a point. I was also told that I'd be much better keeping my own teeth because although they can do fantastic things with dentures these days, they're still not quite the same as the real thing.

Quite often when people do make the decision to visit the dentist, they discover that they don't need as much treatment as they thought - this could be the case for you?

Whatever your fears are, there will be a way to beat them - it just takes a little time to figure out what will work for you because there are loads of things that can be done to make things better :).

Hi rt and :welcome:
As Lisa and happy have said, NO ONE here will laugh at your feelings as we all know exactly what you're going through and will give you loads of support :grouphug:
I know what you mean about being ashamed of your teeth: after I'd found my wonderful new dentist I cried during his first inspection of my mouth because I was so embarrassed and ashamed :shame:. What I got was no telling off and nothing to make me feel bad, just kindness and a promise that from now on, things would get better. A good caring dentist will be able to offer you the same.
My teeth are in a bad way: I'm having 10 extractions the week after next under IV sedation. I've had this before, and even though it's not a general anaesthetic, it feels like one, because you have no sense of what's happening to you at the time, and no memory of it afterwards.
But as vicki says, it could be that your gums and teeth are in better nick than you think...
Keep posting to let us know how you get on.

Iv sedation doesnt really knock you out, but it feels like it. i had no recollection of having had local anaesthetic injections (one of my biggest fears) let alone having extractions.!!
I didnt even feel the iv being administered.
I just remember sitting in the chair, talking to helen ( MY DENTIST) then being led out to the car by my partner.

Back