• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please help! So many Q

• Thread starter Scaredofthisdentist
  • Start date
S

Scaredofthisdentist

Hello!
This is my first thread. I had EXTENSIVE work started on my teeth in June... including severe bridge work and implants. Well SO FAR, the implant is successful. It’s 4 months and I’m just waiting to crown the upper teeth to match with implants, etc... but... on Monday I went in for what I thought was “ impressions”. I was told this and made my appt a month ago. The office then called and asked me “ if I wanted anesthesia “? I thought that was odd because it was for molds?? But I asked the office b/c the surgeon is ALWAYS too busy to talk ( and I get that) and I was told that b/c of my anxiety he thought it best , since it’s about 2 hours, that I have oral anesthesia. I agreed and I went in at 1200 Monday. First, I TOLD HIM, why do keep telling my daughter to fill Rx for pain meds when it’s for a procedure that is for molds???? “ just in case I need it” he says. Well.... it took 6 hours, not 2, like we were told.
I don’t remember anything at all except waking up the next day WITH BLISTER LIKE SORES, bruising ( I think bruising ) around my gum line and swelling. SEVERE PAIN throughout my mouth. I’m pissed off to say the least. I immediately called to go in and see him TUESDAY. He SEES ME IN HIS OFFICE. Not in a chair. He TELLS ME THIS VERBATIM “ I DONT EXPLAIN EVERY LITTLE THING TO EACH PATIENT “. I was floored and DEMAND he tell me what he did. He then goes on to say something about this chemical to keep the gum or teeth dry for impressions? He said THAT is more then likely what was wrong with my mouth. That it was the chemical. I was so mad I just went home and got in bed. WELL ITS NOW WED... my mouth ( where the bruises were ) have these white sloughing areas, peeling white tissue, skin IM RAW to say the least... and WHAT I THOUGHT was bruising may be this “ cord” the secretary mentioned when I first called Tuesday???
I can’t tell but I do feel a “ tugging” sensation and it looks like white / black sutures.... i called and asked if I had sutures? He said “ No”. He called me back and said I CAN COME IN FRIDAY if it bothers me. Honestly I feel he is being VERY CONDESCENDING because of what he originally said. Will the cords come out if I leave them alone? I go in 4 weeks for the permanent crowns/bridge. I’m just so over this MD and DONT TRUST HIM AT ALL. Thx in advance....

I would immediately get a second opinion.

Hi there - while I can’t offer any insight on what happened at this appointment or what’s going on, I will say that yes, you do have the right to have every little detail explained to you. I would be very upset if this were me, and I’d be demanding answers. I don’t see how “impressions” took 6 hours. I had moulds done for my immediate dentures (upper and lower) and I was only there for a little over an hour. And most of that time was them prepping the trays. I think if I were you, I’d see about having another dentist at a different practice take a look at your mouth.

Thank you for your response! Yes, I do believe that I’m going to see another surgeon for an opinion on what’s going on now with my mouth.
Q? If I decide to finish with another surgeon, do you know if this MD has the right to keep the remaining money I payed upfront? Tbh, I don’t REALLY want him to work on me any further...

Honestly, I don’t know. You should be entitled to the money for services not rendered, but they may have a no refund policy, and if you signed any kind of contract with them that states this, you’d be out of luck. I’m always distrustful of places that make you pay up front. I know that chain dental practices usually do this, so I stayed away from them. But see what another dentist says and go from there.

Back