• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

please help so terrified I'm going to die bc tooth infections going on 5 months help!!!!

K

Khmills2014

please help so terrified I'm going to die bc tooth infections going on 5 months help!!!!

Well I have had fears of dentist for years I'm 19 and haven't took the best care of my teeth this one has been broken for awhile and never bothered me until recently well went to dentist Lat month they did X-rays and said nerve was infected gave me amoxicillin and made oral surgeon appt can't get in until March well every time I get antibotics I end up taking almost all of them or never take them on time well that's what happened with the amoxcollin and now I had to go get mor antibotics bc it was hurting worse than it ever has like pain to my ear I have been on penicillin , clyindamycin , cedfar , amoxcollin & now clyindamycin again I'm just worried all these antibotics are going to harm me? And I have also searched on google and now I'm sure I'm dying I should also add it's my bottom #30 tooth I think and I have a sore throat stuffy nose and like the lyphnode and glands are swollen but when I was at the dentist last month in December he did seem too concerned about referee me to oral surgeon can't get me in til marach 10th well all the stuff I've read on Google is terrifying me! I'm trying to take care of my teeth now but all the things of read they make it sounds as if people die all the time for teeth problems! Ok so scared can someone ease my worries

Last edited by Khmills2014; Today at 17:51.​

Re: please help so terrified I'm going to die bc tooth infections going on 5 months help!!!!

Hi KHMills

I'm sorry you're so stressed about this tooth! What a bugger. I'm not a dental or medical professional...but I have sympathy and some suggestions.

First, you're not going to die. I know how easy it is to go online and check symptoms and find horror stories, but remember that anything you're reading about extreme dental infections is rare. You're already on antibiotics and you have an appointment with a provider to address the problem. So...you're already in a better position than most of the horror stories you're reading online. Remember that!

But I do have several recommendations:

1. Call your oral surgeon, tell the dental nurse (or OS if he/she is available to talk) of all of the symptoms you listed here. They may or may not want to squeeze you in sooner, especially if you're in pain that is not being well controlled. If the pain is waking you at night and keeping you from being able to function, tell them this...it's very important that they know what level your pain is so they can address it sufficiently. Be persistent..at least as persistent as your pain is!!

2. In the mean time, take your antibiotics as scheduled. My dentist once told me "I don't care if you have to set an alarm and wake up at 3 am to take a scheduled dose..do it!" - same advice to you. Last time I took antibiotics for dental work, I set my alarm on my phone for 4 times a day when I was supposed to take it. Never missed a dose. Remember that staying on the meds will keep the infection from growing, but only temporarily. Which means that staying on a regular schedule and not missing doses = LESS PAIN FOR YOU and drastically reduced chance of complications later. Even if you begin to feel better, continue taking the medications as prescribed. Do not cancel your treatment even though the medications make you feel much better, but DO tell your providers any reaction (positive or negative) that you had to the meds.

3. Warm, salt water rinses, several times a day. Google it. Do it.

4. Floss every day, brush twice a day as best as you can, but be careful around the affected tooth so that you don't set off pain.

5. Take anti-inflammatories as needed for pain, but consult with your regular doctor for dosing advice and keep your dental providers in the loop with regards to pain control. If OTC meds aren't easing the pain, tell your dental and medical providers.

6. Ice packs on the outside cheek can help.

Best of luck to you. I do hope they get you in sooner to address this and it's far behind you soon.

Re: please help so terrified I'm going to die bc tooth infections going on 5 months help!!!!

Just one quick question : Is there a reason you can't see a different Oral Surgeon who has earlier openings? It seems odd that they can't get you in for so many weeks...

He's the closest to me and also I finished my antibotics Sunday but now it's hurting really bad again do I need more is the infection getting worse I'm so scared!!!!

Call your oral surgeon or regular dentist immediately. It's ridiculous to expect you to wait several weeks to get in for treatment if you're in terrible pain.

You won't die.

But you may need to see a different Oral Surgeon who can fit you in sooner. Start making calls immediately tomorrow morning (wherever you are). Start by calling the OS who you consulted with and have the appt with in March - tell them your symptoms, all of your symptoms and be persistent to get a sooner appointment. If they tell you no sooner appts are avail, ask them who they would recommend you see who DOES have sooner appts and ask if you need more anti-biotics, too. You need treatment at this point and not just pills.

If you make no progress with the oral surgeon, Call your regular dentist and tell him/her all of your symptoms and ask what he/she recommends with regards to who can see you and treat you asap.

If your Oral Surgeon & your Regular Dentist fail to give you a referral for immediate treatment, consult your Medical doctor about the pain/infection and ask him/her if there is an Emergency Dentist they recommend for patients in acute pain.

You can not wait until March in this level of pain - be persistent and don't give up until someone agrees to treat your pain.

Back