• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

please help

C

chloelouise

i have struggled for as long as i can remember with anxiety regarding my teeth. i can’t stop thinking about them. i’m really young and still haven’t got my wisdom teeth yet, but i stress myself out about the thought of having to have them removed! but i don’t even have them yet! i worry about fillings and root canals, even though i don’t need any! but i might actually need a very tiny filling in one of my teeth, but i’m not as worried about that anymore. any support or advice would be so appreciated and would help me so much! i’m only a teenager and don’t want to speak to my parents about it as they don’t understand. xx🦷🦷

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi chloelouise:welcome:,

I see how talking to your parents might be difficult. Before offering any advice, I would like to better understand what is going on, because everyone‘s fears and worries are different. May I ask you what is it that makes you think about your teeth so much? It sounds like you are seeing a dentist regularly anyway?

C

chloelouise

hello,
i have always had an ongoing stress about if they are wobbly or have cracks or holes in, and always ask my mum to check certain teeth but there’s never any problems, but i don’t want to tty and explain to her how i’m feeling. i’m so happy i found this forum as i already feel so much better. i see a dentist every 6 months and at my last appointment i had a filling, which i was worried about for a long time before the appointment to have it done. but i was completely fine and there were no problems thankfully. but the idea of having to have my wisdom teeth removed makes me feel sick and want to cry, i think it’s more the build up to the appointment that i would be worried about.

M

MountainMama

Hi chloelouis. Teeth issues can be scary, and in my experience the anticipation and uncertainty is usually the scariest part.
One thing to remember is that most issues with your teeth don’t happen overnight. Having regular 6 month checkups is great, as it is called preventative care because the dentist can find cavities before they get big, and see any upcoming issues before they happen sometimes.
Do you have a particular reason you are worried? Are your teeth overcrowded or has your dentist said anything other than the one cavity?

C

chloelouise

Hi chloelouis. Teeth issues can be scary, and in my experience the anticipation and uncertainty is usually the scariest part.
One thing to remember is that most issues with your teeth don’t happen overnight. Having regular 6 month checkups is great, as it is called preventative care because the dentist can find cavities before they get big, and see any upcoming issues before they happen sometimes.
Do you have a particular reason you are worried? Are your teeth overcrowded or has your dentist said anything other than the one cavity?
i don’t know why i’m so worried. i have spoken to my mum today. but i’m scared of the anticipation. i haven’t even got my wisdom teeth yet so i know i have nothing to worry about for a few more years, and i may never need them to be removed. but my mind won’t understand that. i’m very confused about the actual removal surgery.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
This sounds like a complicated situation. So you are worrying about something that is not here right now and might even never happen and if it does, then in years from now and despite that you can't stop yourself from worrying about it... I was wondering when did this start worrying you this much?

i’m very confused about the actual removal surgery.
Is there anything particular that makes you confused?

C

chloelouise

This sounds like a complicated situation. So you are worrying about something that is not here right now and might even never happen and if it does, then in years from now and despite that you can't stop yourself from worrying about it... I was wondering when did this start worrying you this much?

Is there anything particular that makes you confused?
it started worrying me about the wisdom teeth quite recently, i’m just concerned about if it will hurt and if i will be able to feel it.

Enarete

Enarete

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, it won't hurt. Your dentist would make sure to numb you up so that you don't feel anything. I had all my wisdom teeth out and it was no big deal, painless and pretty quick. I find even fillings worse.

C

chloelouise

No, it won't hurt. Your dentist would make sure to numb you up so that you don't feel anything. I had all my wisdom teeth out and it was no big deal, painless and pretty quick. I find even fillings worse.
thankyou for your help. i’m gonna tell myself it’s no big deal, and try and pretend i’m ‘excited about having them out’ so that my mind will think i’m fine about it. that probably sounds very silly but whatever works i guess.

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member

Hi Chloelouise , I got a chance to read just a little of your concerns and it made me think of this video by Dr Daniel who is on DFC.

M

MountainMama

thankyou for your help. i’m gonna tell myself it’s no big deal, and try and pretend i’m ‘excited about having them out’ so that my mind will think i’m fine about it. that probably sounds very silly but whatever works i guess.
Not silly...whatever works for you. I had to have dental surgery at age 12 the first time because my canine teeth did not come down through the gums. The anticipation was terrifying but I don’t remember the procedure because they sedated me. I later had my wisdom teeth out and did it under general anesthesia as well. You don’t remember a thing. If you did have to get them out eventually, you can get different types of anesthesia. It isn’t just the shots that numb you. There are different levels of sedation where you can be completely “asleep” or just really out of it, or event just given nitrous oxide along with the shots to relax you. I have had some pretty big dental surgeries done with just the shots and nitrous oxide and didn’t feel any pain at all.

C

chloelouise

Not silly...whatever works for you. I had to have dental surgery at age 12 the first time because my canine teeth did not come down through the gums. The anticipation was terrifying but I don’t remember the procedure because they sedated me. I later had my wisdom teeth out and did it under general anesthesia as well. You don’t remember a thing. If you did have to get them out eventually, you can get different types of anesthesia. It isn’t just the shots that numb you. There are different levels of sedation where you can be completely “asleep” or just really out of it, or event just given nitrous oxide along with the shots to relax you. I have had some pretty big dental surgeries done with just the shots and nitrous oxide and didn’t feel any pain at all.
thankyou very much. i’m not going to let fear control me anymore.