• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Please help

H

Hartington99

I noticed last night one part of the roof of my mouth was sore to touch with my finger or my thumb, does anyone know what it could be , you can see the redness in the area. I am really worrying that it is something serious, it doesn’t hurt unless touched. Please can someone help or reassure me thank you.

Attachments

drhirst

drhirst

Super Moderator
Verified dentist
Hi Hartington99,
Yes it does look a bit raw on the left hand side. Highly unlikely to be anything serious. Don't worry unless it is still there in three weeks, even then don't worry, but get it checked out to be on the safe side.

H

Hartington99

Thank you so much that’s such a relief, I am more concerned as it is in a similar area to a hard lump that I’ve had for a while, I got it checked out and they said it was Jusy some kind of boney growth and nothing to worry about. Can’t help but think of the worst but thanks so much for responding it’s eased my mind.

H

Hartington99

Hi it’s still the same but the pain when touched has moved into jusy the one area here is an updated picture. It feels a bit puffy around the tooth, I can see a sort of veiny line from the tooth to the red spot, just wondering if you have any idea of the possible causes? It only hurts to touch the area with my tongue or finger Am I likely to need surgery or any serious procedure? Any reply will be appreciated thank you so much

Attachments

H

Hartington99

Hi it’s still the same but the pain when touched has moved into jusy the one area here is an updated picture. It feels a bit puffy around the tooth, I can see a sort of veiny line from the tooth to the red spot, just wondering if you have any idea of the possible causes? It only hurts to touch the area with my tongue or finger Am I likely to need surgery or any serious procedure? Any reply will be appreciated thank you so much
@drhirst
@Gordon

H

Hartington99

it is causing me a lot of anxiety IncAse it’s something terrible but I don’t want to waste my dentist time if it’s nothing. I’m also scared of needing treatment and having to have it alone due to covid restrictions

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
It definitely needs looked at by a dentist. The first molar looks a bit suspicious on that second photo so it could be an abscess tracking out from that. You most certainly aren't wasting your dentist's time by getting that looked at.

H

Hartington99

It definitely needs looked at by a dentist. The first molar looks a bit suspicious on that second photo so it could be an abscess tracking out from that. You most certainly aren't wasting your dentist's time by getting that looked at.
Hi Gordon thank you so much for your reply. I called my dentist and send over some pictures etc and they seem to think it’s a bruise but they said to ease my worries they would see me next Friday. My right eye has been blurry all day and that sparked the worry that i could have a spreading infection. Thankfully my worry has eased a bit and let’s hope it goes away before Friday.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
You did the right thing. Hopefully it'll be gone before your appointment :thumbsup:

H

Hartington99

Thanks @Gordon you helped me push myself to make the dreaded call, thanks for all you! And thanks to you and my dental team I finally slept last night :) take care

H

Hartington99

Finally got the appointment over with and they pulled my tooth! Turns out it was an abscess that had just started growing, they pulled it there and then which meant less time to worry and look at this! The abscess came out with the tooth, how disgusting , in a little bit of discomfort now and still bleeding but so glad it’s out !

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Well done for getting it sorted out so promptly. If it's still bleeding now, bite on a fresh slightly dampened tea bag for 5 minutes, that should stop it.

H

Hartington99

Thanks so much Gordon I will try that, it seemed as tho whatever had formed came out with the gauze so I’ve left one in for quite a while this time!

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
How are you doing now?

H

Hartington99

How are you doing now?
Hi Gordon , I feel okay just very scared to eat, I started with saltwater rinses this morning but still worried about dry socket, what are the signs to look out for?

H

Hartington99

Hi Gordon , I feel okay just very scared to eat, I started with saltwater rinses this morning but still worried about dry socket, what are the signs to look out for?
The hole seems covered with dark red and small bits of white patches ? I will try and get a picture