• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please read if you've ever had an abscess

D

dentalwimp

I don't think I've ever had an abscess but I have some questions about them.
Ive heard that the pain comes on suddenly and is pretty intense. Is it possible to have a relatively mild discomfort but still have an abscess?
Also if that could happen, how long could you go on without it becoming intense?
All replies gratefully received :)

I've had face swelling - which indicates an abscess - accompanied by only minor pain. This would reoccur and go away on it's own, but the long-term damage was extensive so I don't recommend ignoring it.

I would definitely recommend getting a dentist to look if you're worried. Just letting them look doesn't mean you have to sign yourself up for treatment, but they will be able to give you a better idea of the problem.

I had an abscess years ago, it actually came on very slowly but got to massive proportions in terms of swelling. I ignored it for a good bit (until it became pretty much impossible to ignore due to the swelling).

The pain was actually very mild but like Sevena says I wouldn't ignore it if you suspect you have one as it just delays the inevitable and will make you feel ill - I felt very sickly the bigger it got and am aware I was very lucky that it didn't case me to be gravely ill.

What is it exactly that puts you off getting it looked at? As terrified as I was when I went to get mine sorted it was nowhere near as bad as I had expected it to be.

I've been to the dentist. I've had it looked at. X-rayed. But they tell me it's fine. I'm getting a little annoyed with it now as the discomfort has been going on a while. I feel discomfort in my cheek bone now and also sometimes in my nose (that might sound ridiculous but it's true)
In a way I'm pleased to be told the x-ray looks fine but deep down I kniw something must be wrong. I also have sharp pain when I brush one particular tooth along its gum line. I wondered if it's severe tooth sensitivity?
I'm confused and very aware if I leave a problem it will become worse :(

Hi you could try toothpaste for sensitive teeth it might help. As long as the dentist is keeping his eye on things you should be fine.

Could you have TMJ this will cause pain and headaches as well. Do you grind and clench your teeth?

Could you have trouble with your sinuses ? :butterfly: