• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

PLEASE: Would love hearing about good experiences with bone graft/implant procedure.

T

thewomanwrites

PLEASE: Would love hearing about good experiences with bone graft/implant procedure.

I am TERRIFIED everyone!

I was told I will need an extraction, bone graft and implant in my lower right molar. The more I delve into this on the Internet, the more traumatized I am becoming.

I must say that I have a top-notch dentist with a great staff. I will be getting IV sedation, which I've received from him on two other occasions with wonderful results. He's done a lot of work: root canal, build-up of teeth, etc. and I've never had pain during, or after.

Still, I am nearly immobilized with fear at the thought of this procedure itself and its:cry: aftermath.

PLEASE, if anyone has anything positive to say that might help me, I would be forever grateful.

THANK YOU!

Re: PLEASE: Would love hearing about good experiences with bone graft/implant procedure.

Hello there :)
Well you have already had several good experiences with this dentist - no reason why the implant will be any different :)
I have had 2 implants done - both in the lower jaw, one a molar the other a premolar. Both were to replace teeth which were chronically infected. One was just a root and the other could not be saved with a root canal treatment.
The extractions were done several weeks before and allowed to heal before the implant was placed. I didn't need any bone grafting.
The actual process itself was fine. Sure I was really nervous but I had built up a good relationship with my dentist so I trusted him and I knew it would be fine. Each implant took less than an hour. I didn't do it with IV sedation - just real good heavy duty local anaesthetic. I didn't feel a thing. Afterwards I took ibuprofen and paracetamol before the anaesthetic wore off. I luckily didn't get much swelling or bruising and I just took things easy for day or two. Make sure you follow the post implant instructions that the dentist will give you.
The thought of it is so much worse than the procedure itself. I would recommend that you do not watch any implant procedures on youtube and try not to google too much for other peoples experiences (except on here of course:giggle:) because people tend to only write about bad experiences and also tend to exaggerate the story too....
Hope that helps a bit. Ask me anything and I will try to help out ;)
Cheers
Coolin

Re: PLEASE: Would love hearing about good experiences with bone graft/implant procedure.

Coolin's reply was spot on but I thought I'd give you another positive story.

No need to be terrified - honest!! I had a lower molar that had a failed root canal and apico prior to being extracted for an implant. Because the tooth had an undetected infection there was a need to have a bone graft to ensure enough bone for the implant to be successful. I tend to be one of those people that things don't always go right the first time so after the extraction and bone graft it was determined I needed a second bone graft since the first didn't take very well. The bad news, it was a longer wait for the implant placement since I had double the healing time. The GREAT news, I had it done under oral sedation and each procedure was such a piece of cake that I barely remember any of it. :) Like you, I was pretty scared but the sedation worked it's magic and I was left with few memories of the appointments. I'm sure that your IV sedation will provide the same results this time and you'll find it no different from any of your other procedures. The fact that Coolin did it without any sedation :)respect:) really just cements the fact that you are going to be just fine!!

I will say that I did have a dull ache after the bone graft and implant placement for a couple of days. Initially I asked for a strong painkiller but never actually used it; Advil worked just fine. The key is to be consistent with taking any pain relievers so you stay ahead of any discomfort. I was a tiny bit swollen after the initial bone graft but not enough that anyone would have noticed. As Coolin mentioned, follow the Dentist's after care instructions and you'll be okay.

Please let us know how you are doing; I look forward to another implant success story! :jump:

Implant surgical procedure is typically easier on the patient than the extraction.
Ask how does my bone and attached tissue look. If they both look good to excellent then it should be very easy for you.

Oh, thank you so much takingflight and Coolin! Coolin, you are a brave one, indeed.

Question, please: My dentist told me that I would have to wait nine months to a year to make sure that that I've healed properly. I asked him how I would chew and he said I'd have to favor the other side.

OMG, really? Chew on one side of my mouth for all that time? Doesn't that have a terrible impact on those teeth as well as one's bite?

Thank you, again. This place is awesome.

My experience was that initially I did chew on the other side until the extraction/bone graft procedure had healed. After a couple of weeks I avoided chewing anything hard or crunchy on that side but didn't really worry about soft foods. (My molar was toward the front of my mouth so I was able to use my back teeth when eating.) I wasn't specifically told to avoid the area the entire time, just to use care when eating anything crunchy.

I went sooooo many years without seeing a dentist and due to a tooth that I couldn't bite down on always chewed food on my right side. Even after my teeth were fixed it took awhile to get used to eating on both sides. I never had any issues because of this so I'd assume that 9 months shouldn't cause any problems with your other teeth.

It does feel like a long process because of the wait but when it's over you're going to be so surprised at how much if looks (and sort of feels, in a weird way) like a real tooth. Like you I was petrified about getting through it but it really wasn't any different than any of the other things I've had done with the help of oral sedation. By the end I was brave enough to have him place the final implant without anything and it was no big deal. After all those months without the tooth I couldn't stop looking at my new tooth in the mirror though. ;D

When are you planning to have the procedure? If you need it, come back and let us remind you that it will be easy. :) It's always nice to know you have others thinking of you and wishing you well when you have an appointment coming up. (It was the only thing that got me through my early dental visits!!)

Thank you TF. I am most likely having it done in January, when my insurance kicks in again. Currently, I'm chewing on the left side of my mouth because I've just been to the dentist this past week, which is when I "got the news."

Thought I had a loose crown, which I did. (From another dentist.) Also thought it was going to be a simple thing just to cement that baby back on. That's when he told me that there wasn't enough bone to grab onto.

He also told me that if he were to put a new crown on, it wouldn't last but three to five years.

So he slapped some kind of packing material on there to cover it up, but I'm still not supposed to chew on it.

Again, thank you. Your help and support is invaluable.

Back