• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Popcorn hull stuck in gums! Help?

M

mhp8982

So, I never want to eat popcorn again. Those stupid hulls always get stuck in my teeth and gums. I usually get them out. But this time, it's not coming out. It's in my very back tooth on the back side, so it's hard to reach and floss can't get it. Is there anything else I can try before calling the dentist on Monday morning? Would a water pik be a good thing to use? I'm thinking of buying one. Any advice?? It's so annoying. It's just not something I was wanting to be going to the dentist for!

Thanks!

I would suggest trying to use a Water Pik to help blast it out. It's amazing how much my Water Pik gets food out from in-between my teeth - more than I even thought was stuck in my teeth. You could also try using a q-tip to help push it out from under your gum. If you pick up a Water Pik, stores will also sell dental picks (like scrapers) that might help you get at the popcorn piece.

Stuck food remedy:

Take floss and tie several knots in the middle of the floss so there is a bulge in it. Sometimes need 2 knots sometimes several more. Pass the floss down below the contacts then move the floss laterally the knots will push out impacted food very nicely.

Back