• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Positive Experience

N

nene08

I wanted to share my story because after reading so many other stories on here I was finally inspired to make an appointment with the dentist after 8 years (almost 9) of not going at all. I have always felt panic in the dentist chair, even when I was very young. I always attributed the fears to the fact that every time I went I had a cavity. . .every time! I remember crying and faking sick when my Mother told me I had to go to the dentist. So, when I turned 18 I just stopped going! Not the smartest thing, but the dentist is so easy to avoid until you have pain. For the past 5 years or so I felt that my teeth had to be so far gone, and that no dentist would even want to look in my mouth. I had brown spots/streaks on the inside and backs of all my teeth (that I believed were cavities). There was no way that I could fathom walking into a dentist office with the embarassment of not having my teeth cleaned in 8 years. But, I am gettting married next year, and I thought. . .if I don't do something now, I am going to be very sorry when I see my wedding pictures! Anyway, this brings me to my appointment last night. I was extremely nervous for days before the appointment, and didn't take any medication before going because it was important to me to overcome my fear without it. Well, after 8 years of not going to the dentist out of fear of what would be wrong with my teeth and how much it would cost to fix. . .I am proud to say that I did not have one, not one, cavity! :jump: I am not even sure how this is possible, but I am extremely thrilled. If it were not for the stories posted on here by other members, I might not have gone at all, and I would still be sitting around worrying. For anyone reading this who is affraid to take the chance, do it! You will be surprised how much dentistry has changed over the years, how painless it can be, and how many dentists are understanding with patients they know are fearful.

Thats great news, well done! :jump:

Thats fantastic news :) now if only I were as lucky as you lol

Thanks for all the support. I will add that I do need to have all four of my wisdom teeth extracted, and I am having some old silver fillings replaced with new white ones. So, I still have a long way to go, and a few more visits, but overall it is a very comforting thing to know that all of my teeth don't need to be pulled out!

:welcome:Nene, well done for getting to a dentist. Your story just goes to show that it may not be as bad as you think. Hope all goes well with your future visits to get your wisdom teeth taken out and to have the silver fillings replaced. I always take a cd walkman with me with a relaxation cd if I need any drilling done, I find this drowns out the noise and helps me relax. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Back