• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

possible cracked tooth

G

greenwood

possible cracked tooth...question for dentist.

I have a cold sensitive upper tooth and just realized that an occasional sharp pain that I get btwn two teeth (for years and years now and very rare) is the same tooth as the cold sensitivity. I realized this when I bit down on a sunflower seed and got the stab of pain. Then I ate a cold piece of pineapple and oooww.

My question is this: If I have an invisible crack in my tooth that causes occasional pain on biting and now always causes cold sensitivity does it NEED to be treated soon and how would it be treated? I'd be fine with just keeping cold liquids away from it until I had insurance (maybe a year or two from now) if I knew that it wasn't any more likely than any other tooth to get bacteria inside the crack and cause infection. Do you think I'll be ok?

Would some of that sealant they use on kids be enough to stop the cold sensitivity for a hairline crack? I'm not as worried about the sharp pain because it isn't frequent.

Last edited:
There is a tool called a Toothslooth that basically is a plastic bite stick that allows the dentist to try to pinpoint which area of the tooth is sensitive and if there is a crack present. If there is a crack developing, the tooth should be assessed to see whether it needs some work as cracks can irritate nerves and lead to fractures.

Sometimes a simple filling to cover up the cracked area can help, or a crown might be needed. The dentist would be able to tell you better whether something should be done.

Back