• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Possible extraction tomorrow...Nervous

S

Skennedy2

So tomorrow I have an appointment to get a badly decayed tooth looked at and possibly extracted. It had a small cavity that turned into a big one, and about half the crown crumbled off. There is also gum tissue trying to creep into it. I had it looked at at the clinic in my town a week ago and was told immediately that it would need extraction, a filling wouldn't be sturdy enough to save it. I opted to contact a dentist that offers nitrous. My original hope is/was that this new dentist would have a differing opinion on filling it. BUT if it has to come out then it has to come out. I had one extraction before by a student dentist and he didn't know to section it until the dentist herself came in (he had been trying to get it out for 40 minutes) she sectioned it and had it out in two minutes. This left me anxious about extractions, while there was no pain at all, and I was glad it have it out, it just wasn't a great experience.

My other concern is on my xray, the tooth in question's roots are REALLY close to the roots of the next teeth I am afraid of damage to adjacent roots because I want to keep my other teeth.

It is a top second molar, with a wisdom tooth behind it that could take it's place and I don't want it damaged either.

My questions are:
Are top molars hard to remove? Anyone have this experience?
Anyone else have teeth extracted whose roots were close to neighboring teeth? and
I have never tried nitrous, does it really help?

Hi Skennedy2,

sorry to hear about your bad experience with the previous extraction, I can understand that the possible extraction makes you nervous now. I am sure that your dentist will be more experienced than the student that did your last extraction so it will be like the two minutes.
From my little experience top molars are not particularly difficult to remove. They get out quickly sometimes and sometimes they are more challenging, as any other dental procedure. I never had nitrous myself but from reading here on the forum it will make you feel relaxed. I can't answer your question to the roots close to your wisdom tooth, but your dentist might be able to explain you what she/he will do to make sure they won't get damaged. Roots of wisdom teeth can be very funny so there might be something he / she can do.

Good luck for tomorrow and let us know how it went

Back