• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Possible implant complication 10 months later?

S

sharon

I had an implant on #10 in March of 2017 (about 4 months after having an extraction and graft). I have had some discomfort ever since in the gum area, it's still tender to the touch; my dentist says all looks fine, he doesn't see a problem with the healing or anything else.

In January of 2018 I developed some neurological problems - imbalance, bad hyperacusis and a very strange feeling on parts of the left side of my face (cheekbone, outer corner of eye and around and including the ear). When any of these areas were touched I would get a feeling like a strong, painless jolt of electricity. While the jolt feeling was strong it was also totally painless. Lasted about a month, went away and came back in August for another month, then was gone for a week, then came back for a week, disappeared again, came back for a day, and right now it is again gone.

My doctor is sending me to a neurologist (appt isn't for another month), meanwhile, someone suggested to me that this may be a complication of the implant. I know nerve damage is a possibility, not sure if it would show 10 months later. Any ideas?

(edited to add - MRI in January was normal)

I'm rubbish with the American numbering system, isn't 10 the upper right? In which case, no I can't see how it could cause symptoms on the left side.

"My doctor is sending me to a neurologist (appt isn't for another month), meanwhile, someone suggested to me that this may be a complication of the implant.-" NO but may have more than one issue. Gum over implant should not be sore at this point.

Yes, left side upper tooth, left side symptoms. I've had discomfort since the implant (or maybe it was the bone graft). It's definitely better than it was a year ago, but still tender when pressing over the area. Now these weird neurological problems pop up. So tired of dealing with "issues."

Back