• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Possible infection

M

MelanieJade79

Hi! I’m planning on calling my dentist tomorrow but in the meantime I am very anxious about the health of my tooth/teeth and visiting the dentist during this virus lockdown. 7 days ago I started to have pain in my right ear, neck and cheek. I suffered fever sweats that night. Felt fatigued and terrible the next day. I worried about an ear infection and had a Telehealth consult with a GP who said take nurofen and if it gets worse visit the clinic for a check up. It didn’t get worse but I have felt discomfort every day since with occasional heat in my ear, cheek and sore neck. Tonight my gums around my upper right incisor (I think that’s what it’s called) feel pressured, uncomfortable and my cheek is red, my ear is red and of course I’m worrying a lot. I had a massive filling put into this tooth a few years back as a last chance treatment before a possible root canal. I fear that it’s now infected and I now need a root canal. Of course I’m freaking out about this as I am afraid of leaving the house to attend the dental clinic due to the virus. I fear any of the procedures that might need to be done. I had a traumatic wisdom tooth removal a few years back that then became infected after the extraction. I just do t know how I will cope with it. And then the recovery and feeling worried about possibly contracting the virus while recovering at home.i am needing some reassurance or advice or thoughts on how to cope with it all. My dental clinic said they will do emergency procedures. Is this considered an emergency? Thank you for any help!! :)

M

MelanieJade79

I should mention that I live in Australia. 😊

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Yes it's considered an emergency at least in the UK, seeing as you've got the signs of an acute infection present (redness, pain, swelling).

M

MelanieJade79

Yes it's considered an emergency at least in the UK, seeing as you've got the signs of an acute infection present (redness, pain, swelling).
Thanks Gordon!
I have made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I am freaking out about being exposed to the virus by attending the clinic and I’m concerned for the staff there too. I am hoping they will X-ray me first to keep appropriate social distance for most of the consultation.How do you think the consultation will be managed?
I’m also considering that this could be an ear infection as opposed to tooth infection. My symptoms keep changing.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Dental staff will be wearing suitable PPE, we've practiced universal precautions since a long time before this virus emerged.
First thing should be somebody actually looking in your mouth, just taking an x-ray immediately isn't a great idea, it won't necessarily diagnose anything and somebody would still need to look in your mouth afterwards anyway.

M

MelanieJade79

Dental staff will be wearing suitable PPE, we've practiced universal precautions since a long time before this virus emerged.
First thing should be somebody actually looking in your mouth, just taking an x-ray immediately isn't a great idea, it won't necessarily diagnose anything and somebody would still need to look in your mouth afterwards anyway.
Ah I see, that makes sense. I know my clinic is very clean and the staff always takes precautions. I’m very nervous. I hope I sleep tonight before the appointment! I’m secretly hoping it is an ear infection! If it does happen to be, can a dentist diagnose and ear infection and prescribe antibiotics: painkillers? Or would I need to visit a doctor too?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
No, we can't diagnose ear infections or prescribe for them.

AngelCatMei

AngelCatMei

Ah I see, that makes sense. I know my clinic is very clean and the staff always takes precautions. I’m very nervous. I hope I sleep tonight before the appointment! I’m secretly hoping it is an ear infection! If it does happen to be, can a dentist diagnose and ear infection and prescribe antibiotics: painkillers? Or would I need to visit a doctor too?
Hope you're okay now, did you mentioned to settle this pain?

Just to let you know that you're not alone. I always suffer from ear, cheek and jaw pain whenever I have a tooth infection.

I'm currently having one and I feel like I'm getting a fever soon. My whole left head hurts and my recent crowned root canal tooth is hurting too.

M

MelanieJade79

Hope you're okay now, did you mentioned to settle this pain?

Just to let you know that you're not alone. I always suffer from ear, cheek and jaw pain whenever I have a tooth infection.

I'm currently having one and I feel like I'm getting a fever soon. My whole left head hurts and my recent crowned root canal tooth is hurting too.
Yes I am ok now - I went to have it checked out and they xrayed and did other tests and there was nothing wrong!! I think I had an ear or sinus infection that cleared up about a week later. So much anxiety surrounding it all. It was very stressful. I’m so relieved there was nothing wrong. I hope you can have your infection treated soon? Have you got an appointment?