• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Possible infection

M

MelanieJade79

Hi! I’m planning on calling my dentist tomorrow but in the meantime I am very anxious about the health of my tooth/teeth and visiting the dentist during this virus lockdown. 7 days ago I started to have pain in my right ear, neck and cheek. I suffered fever sweats that night. Felt fatigued and terrible the next day. I worried about an ear infection and had a Telehealth consult with a GP who said take nurofen and if it gets worse visit the clinic for a check up. It didn’t get worse but I have felt discomfort every day since with occasional heat in my ear, cheek and sore neck. Tonight my gums around my upper right incisor (I think that’s what it’s called) feel pressured, uncomfortable and my cheek is red, my ear is red and of course I’m worrying a lot. I had a massive filling put into this tooth a few years back as a last chance treatment before a possible root canal. I fear that it’s now infected and I now need a root canal. Of course I’m freaking out about this as I am afraid of leaving the house to attend the dental clinic due to the virus. I fear any of the procedures that might need to be done. I had a traumatic wisdom tooth removal a few years back that then became infected after the extraction. I just do t know how I will cope with it. And then the recovery and feeling worried about possibly contracting the virus while recovering at home.i am needing some reassurance or advice or thoughts on how to cope with it all. My dental clinic said they will do emergency procedures. Is this considered an emergency? Thank you for any help!! :)

I should mention that I live in Australia. ?

Yes it's considered an emergency at least in the UK, seeing as you've got the signs of an acute infection present (redness, pain, swelling).

Yes it's considered an emergency at least in the UK, seeing as you've got the signs of an acute infection present (redness, pain, swelling).
Thanks Gordon!
I have made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I am freaking out about being exposed to the virus by attending the clinic and I’m concerned for the staff there too. I am hoping they will X-ray me first to keep appropriate social distance for most of the consultation.How do you think the consultation will be managed?
I’m also considering that this could be an ear infection as opposed to tooth infection. My symptoms keep changing.

Dental staff will be wearing suitable PPE, we've practiced universal precautions since a long time before this virus emerged.
First thing should be somebody actually looking in your mouth, just taking an x-ray immediately isn't a great idea, it won't necessarily diagnose anything and somebody would still need to look in your mouth afterwards anyway.

Dental staff will be wearing suitable PPE, we've practiced universal precautions since a long time before this virus emerged.
First thing should be somebody actually looking in your mouth, just taking an x-ray immediately isn't a great idea, it won't necessarily diagnose anything and somebody would still need to look in your mouth afterwards anyway.
Ah I see, that makes sense. I know my clinic is very clean and the staff always takes precautions. I’m very nervous. I hope I sleep tonight before the appointment! I’m secretly hoping it is an ear infection! If it does happen to be, can a dentist diagnose and ear infection and prescribe antibiotics: painkillers? Or would I need to visit a doctor too?

No, we can't diagnose ear infections or prescribe for them.

Ah I see, that makes sense. I know my clinic is very clean and the staff always takes precautions. I’m very nervous. I hope I sleep tonight before the appointment! I’m secretly hoping it is an ear infection! If it does happen to be, can a dentist diagnose and ear infection and prescribe antibiotics: painkillers? Or would I need to visit a doctor too?

Hope you're okay now, did you mentioned to settle this pain?

Just to let you know that you're not alone. I always suffer from ear, cheek and jaw pain whenever I have a tooth infection.

I'm currently having one and I feel like I'm getting a fever soon. My whole left head hurts and my recent crowned root canal tooth is hurting too.

Hope you're okay now, did you mentioned to settle this pain?

Just to let you know that you're not alone. I always suffer from ear, cheek and jaw pain whenever I have a tooth infection.

I'm currently having one and I feel like I'm getting a fever soon. My whole left head hurts and my recent crowned root canal tooth is hurting too.
Yes I am ok now - I went to have it checked out and they xrayed and did other tests and there was nothing wrong!! I think I had an ear or sinus infection that cleared up about a week later. So much anxiety surrounding it all. It was very stressful. I’m so relieved there was nothing wrong. I hope you can have your infection treated soon? Have you got an appointment?

Yes I am ok now - I went to have it checked out and they xrayed and did other tests and there was nothing wrong!! I think I had an ear or sinus infection that cleared up about a week later. So much anxiety surrounding it all. It was very stressful. I’m so relieved there was nothing wrong. I hope you can have your infection treated soon? Have you got an appointment?

Sorry for the late response! I wasn't here often. It is indeed stressful, provided with the pandemic, everyone is lacking of money everywhere. I'll be going in for my 6 months scaling and polishing as well as to review my upper right first molar caries. My upper left 1st or 2nd molar are feeling pain nowadays, not sure which tooth was the root cause of it. Will be able to find out tomorrow!

I have dental anxiety as well as tons of dental issues and now I just started a new job in a dental clinic ?

Back