• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Possible Tooth Abscess

S

spooky

I am writing in desperation as last time I needed some support, this thread was here for me.

I believe I may have a tooth abscess as characterized by a tiny pimple-like spot on my gums. I noticed my gums were swollen earlier this week in that area but it didn’t hurt. Tonight when I was brushing my teeth, I saw some blood on my toothbrush so I examined my mouth. The gums that were swollen earlier this week now have this little bump and it was bleeding from brushing the gums. It doesn’t hurt at all and I only notice it when I smile as the inside of my cheeks rub against it.

Any suggestions on what I can do at home as far as caring for my gums? I am absolutely scared of the dentist from bad experiences and just general anxiety. Will the swelling go down? Is it something I need to get taken care of ASAP?

Any suggestions or words to ease my anxiety are welcome.

Thank you ??
Roxanna

Rinse with salt water. You really need to get in to a dentist and get it looked at. I had an abscess on my front tooth 3 months ago. I was terrified, and ended up needing a root canal. It was hard, but I am glad I did it.

Hi Roxanna,

sorry to read about your situation. I can understand that a dentist is the last person you would like to see to get it sorted, however, as MountainMama suggests, if it is an abscess then it will need a treatment, rather earlier than later.
If you haven't found a gentle caring dentist yet, it might be a good idea to look around and see whether you find a practice you feel could be trustworthy and then take it in easy steps from there. You will find a lot of useful information in our 'What can help' area.

Last but not least, dental anxiety sometimes makes us imagining things being much worse than they really are and a dentist is the only person who can with certainty tell you what's wrong and what treatment is needed. So before this happens, try to keep your imagination under control as much as possible. Easier said than done, I know, but worthy a try.

All the best wishes and keep us posted.

Back