• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Possible tooth extraction - TERRIFIED

D

desertdiva

I have a tooth that is most likely going to need to be extracted and it scares me more than just about anything. Let me put it this way - I'd rather do public speaking in front of 2000 people it scares me so bad. Can someone please let me know what to expect? I can't afford IV sedation so it will be with a local anesthetic. I'm afraid I'll have a panic attack or run screaming out of the office I'm so scared :cry:

Thanks in advance,

desertdiva

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

Try not to get too stressed I was terrified of having a tooth removed and felt how you are about it. Over the last couple of years I have had a couple extracted and it isn't how you think it is going to be.

They will make sure you are really numb, they can test the area if you aren't sure. If at any time you feel pain let them know straight away and they can stop and give you more numbing stuff.

They have a gel called topical that they can rub on your gums before they inject (ask them about it) this numbs the gums only so that you don't feel the injection. They can inject you really slowly and you won't feel it without using the gel also.

Once you are numb they will prepare the tooth you may feel a bit of pressure, and hear some like tearing noises but you won't feel anything. Don't worry this is normal, I didn't feel any pressure but some say they do. Once the tooth is prepared they lift it out. You won't know it has gone until they say that is it over. They will put a cotton roll over the extraction site and ask you to bite down. This is to allow a clot to form. Once they are happy with this they will let you know that you can now go as it is all over. It doesn't take long, mine took seconds it felt like. They will give you some aftercare instructions and tell you not to be too energetic for the rest of the day. If you need to return to work that is fine as is normal activity. They don't advice you to go to the gym or run a marathon but apart from that you will be fine. :butterfly::butterfly:

Thank you so much Carole:) I've been letting this thing "rent space in my head" and it's been driving me crazy. I guess I keep picturing the dentist yanking and pulling on the tooth while I'm in the chair screaming. I've had 4 root canals and several fillings with no pain, I've just never had a tooth taken out. I'm fortunate I have a lovely dentist who is very kind so that helps.

Thanks again for your reassurance. I sometimes forget that I'm not alone :)

I have a tooth that is most likely going to need to be extracted and it scares me more than just about anything. Let me put it this way - I'd rather do public speaking in front of 2000 people it scares me so bad. Can someone please let me know what to expect? I can't afford IV sedation so it will be with a local anesthetic. I'm afraid I'll have a panic attack or run screaming out of the office I'm so scared :cry:

Thanks in advance,

desertdiva

I too was terrified to get my tooth out. I mean my heart was literally pounding in my chest and my blood pressure was getting very high.
I squeezed my eyes shut tight because I was afraid to see any of the tools or what they were doing to me. I gripped the armrests of the chair so tightly I am surprised I didn't break them off. I did hear a scary cracking noise which I am not positive was my tooth or whether it was the crown on it (this tooth had been crowned a month before) and then it was over. It all happened so fast. They had my tooth out in less than 2 minutes, and other than having been terrified it was the fastest, easiest, most pain free dental experience I have ever had in my life. You will be fine.

I didn't read any replies so sorry if I am redundant but having a tooth pulled is seriously no big deal. I just had three wisdom teeth pulled with only Novocain two weeks ago. I took a boat load of Valium beforehand (I had a ton of other work done...8 fillings, and then the three wisdom teeth pulled) and if I had to go back and have a tooth pulled now I honestly wouldn't even need the Valium. Haha. I didn't sleep for weeks anticipating the appointment and it's it turns out, it was for nothing!

They will numb the area completely and honest to god, that doesn't even hurt. The Novocain is a tiny pinch you barely notice. I didn't watch so I am not entirely sure what they did, but I felt some rocking and some pressure and the teeth were out. They were oddly positioned yet fully erupted wisdom teeth and he had a hard time getting a good hold on them, and each tooth was less than 5 minutes. Probably closer to three minutes.

If I can do this, you definitely can!! I highly recommend asking your dentist to prescribe Valium (diazepam) beforehand.

Back