• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Possible Trismus Following Upper Wisdom Removals

H

hydrophyllic

Hello there,

I had my bottom wisdom teeth out at the age of 20. I am now 22 and have just had my upper wisdom teeth out. I am a female in relatively good health...i need to excercise, but who doesn't.

It has now been 10 days since my surgery, and I can only open my mouth two finger widths. I was prescribed "lithium" due to extreme pain following surgery, as I only experienced it throughout the night, and well into the morning. (I clentch my teeth at night) So, I'm less the pain now...thankfully, though I am getting worried about the length that I've been experiencing jaw stiffness. I went to the dentist on 2 days ago, and the surgeon shoved medicated gauze where the gum hadn't quite healed over the bone. That wasn't really addressing what my complaints were. I could've rubbed clove oil on it myself...seeing that it wasn't even hurting me.

I've read to chew gum, massage and apply heated packs to the face (which I can only do so many times in a day). What particular muscle is inhibiting my movements? Should I be stretching it? How long should this last for? Is my clentching at night, aggrevating the problem? I'm worried. :cry: Should I wait for a little while longer? HELP!

Re: Possible Trismus Following Upper Wisdom Remova

Ice packs NOT heated packs!!!!

It's a wee bit early to start worrying an awful lot about it, but it should be getting a bit better by now.

Gentle stretching is probably OK, the clenching at night probably isn't helping but there's not a lot you can do about it right now. All the worrying is no doubt not helping :)

Back