• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Possible wisdom tooth extraction...I'm going crazy!

P

PBT1229

Had an appointment with the dentist today for an exam/cleaning. Everything went well, but I brought up an issue I've been dealing with, mainly in my bottom left molar. The gum surrounding the back of the molar smells and tastes HORRID. I only noticed this yesterday as I was flossing and when I press my finger on the gum, it will reek just as much as the floss. The fact that I can taste it occasionally makes it even worse. Right now we're going to attempt to flush the area with a syringe full of listerine and floss regularly to see if that gets rid of the smell and taste but so far, no dice.

My question for you guys is:
I have my 6 month appointment scheduled for September 15th. My insurance runs out in December of this year (I'll be 26 and am laid off from work, so I'm back on my parents' insurance). How long has it generally taken for you all to schedule surgeries? Do you think if I wait until September to speak to the surgeon, it can all be taken care of by December? Or should I go in sooner? Don't have any experiences with surgeries and this tooth is impacted so if it truly does need to come out, I will need to be thoroughly knocked out for it. I have such terrible dental phobia and while I make sure to go every six months for exams and cleanings, it takes every fiber of my being not to cancel and to actually get myself in the car the morning of my check up!

I suppose I should just call and find out, but I guess I just need some support :( Thanks all.

Hi PBT1229, every dentists time scale for treatment will be different. You are right to phone and ask (make sure you tell them about needing to to be knock out because that will probably be the time limiting factor).
On the support/reassurance side of things ..... the tooth might stop being sore/smelling/tasting bad and you might not need the treatment :thumbsup: ...buts its worth having your back up plan in place :)
Regards,

Back