• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post and core

P

Peppa

I need to get a crown on a root filled upper molar. The tooth is mainly filling so will I need a post? Or could one have been inserted already during the rct?
If I haven’t already got this post, what is the process like? Does it take long?
Many thanks.

Depends on how heavily restored the existing tooth is.
No it won't have had the post inserted already.

There are loads of different post systems on the market, each with their own individual ways of doing them, so it's hard to tell you what exactly is involved.
Safe to say that it won't hurt a bit and generally adds 5-10 minutes to the treatment time.

Thank you for your reply.
I’m not sure about how heavily restored it would be. It’s been built up after the rct so one side is tooth and the other side filling.
I’m not worried about pain, I’m claustrophobic and worried that the dentist would want to use a rubber dam as it’s going into a canal? (They don’t do rct without them).

Not many dentists would use dam for a crown prep, post or no post.

Back