• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post dental extraction: Molar

R

Ryan2501

Hi guys Im new here and just had a question for you guys.

I had a tooth extracted bottom left 1st molar a few weeks ago and I was just curious as to what happens to the hole it leaves?

I can already feel the deep part of the hole is alot tougher now and feels like regular bone/gum.

However at the top its still like flappy and Im still scared to eat on that side of my mouth (I havent used that side for over a year)

Do these 'flaps' heal over? Seeing as they aren't open wounds I cant see it happening. Also a tight lump has emerged over the last couple of days on the outside of the gum, it feels like something hard like bone and when pushed it stings a bit, was wondering if this is normal? I thought maybe its new bone growing inside the gum...

Its been suchhhhhh a long ordeal for me bt luckily the worst is over since having the tooth out I was so glad to see it go!

Any help would be greatly appriciated thanks in advance!

Google for "Healing by secondary intention" which should give a nice overview of how the healing process works for larger wounds like extraction sites.

The rough bits might be boney spicules, they've been discussed on here quite a lot if you do a quick search.

Thank you very much Gordon, I am now much more at ease and am very happy that I can feel and see the bone re-growing and gum toughening up. Im sure it wont be more than a week or two before Im eating using my full mouth :)

Thanks for your time, all the best.:jump:

i remember when i got 2 molars removed a few years ago. the gums felt weird for the first week or so, but they grew back over the extraction sight quite quickly and filled in within 2 months.

the mouth is one of the parts of the body that heals the fastest, so as long as u take care of the wound and follow ur dentists instructions, in no time it should be healed

Back