• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

post extraction clot/bleeding

S

sparkle83

Hiya

Have had 3 teeth out today(one on top, two on bottom). 3.5 hrs after extraction, still getting a fair ammount of blood and using gauze. Everytime remove gauze, it seems to pull out the clots! what do I do? Should I stop using gauze even though still bleeding? at what point should I see emergency dentst/doc? Still quite numb so dont know about pain...
please help

Make sure you start taking painkillers before the numbing wears off (ibuprofen or ketoprofen, unless you have asthma, in which case you could use paracetamol instead. Avoid disprin as it thins the blood).

Not sure what is going on with the bleeding and what amount is normal (it always looks like more than it is when it's mixed with saliva) but if you are in any doubt, just give them a call and ask (or if they're closed and you're in England, you could try NHS direct).

There are some tips for healing after tooth removal on this page:

Wishing you a speedy recovery :grouphug:

You may just have clotted blood on the gauze and not acutally "pulling out the clot" You can try a biting down on a moist tea bag to help stop the active bleeding.

Back