• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

post-extraction numbness in chin and lower lip

gotallthiswaiting

gotallthiswaiting

Hello everyone!

Today at 9:30am I had four impacted wisdom teeth extracted. It was my first time undergoing IV sedation, and it was fabulous. I can't believe I was so paranoid beforehand. I don't feel any pain from the sites of my extracted teeth, and I just popped two oxycodone that my doctor had prescribed for the pain.

I do, however, have one small concern, and would love for some opinions from those of you who have had similar procedures done as well...

It is now 5:30pm and I find myself experiencing a great deal of numbness on my chin and lower lip. I have had numbness from novocain in the past from fillings and regular tooth extractions, but this is much more severe. My tongue was very numb initially as well; however, now I finally have feeling in it again. As for my chin and lower lip, I am a bit alarmed about the possibility of nerve damage. I probably sound so silly because this is only day 1; but the nurse did warn me pre-operatively that I have a rather high chance of nerve damage due to one of my wisdom teeth that was very close to the nerves. :shame: I was so knocked out from the IV that I can't fully remember what was said in the recovery room--- but I do have a feeling that the nurse said that it appeared that I didn't have nerve damage after all. Maybe I should be asking my friend who came with me to the appointment today... Hmmmm...

To get to the point, here are some questions I have:

1. If this is just the novocain remaining, how long does it usually take to wear off? I know that all patients have different healing times, but when should I probably start feeling my lip and chin again?

2. If it is nerve damage, do any of you have some tips about helping better aid in the healing process?

Note: I will obviously be asking my oral surgeon all of these questions when I go in for a follow up appointment next week; but I would really like to receive some guidance now to help me sleep tonight!

Thanks again for all of your help. This is an amazing forum and I hope my experience can later offer help to others in my position.

-Cass

It's probably a bit late, but please phone your OS as soon as you possibly can. Early intervention can save a long healing process in this kind of case.

Back