• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post extraction panic

M

Masha

Hi, I had a broken tooth - back molar- extracted 2 months ago pre lockdown. Then had pain in area and long story short after 3 lots of antibiotics in 2 months I had a referral to a hub and had the molar next to it out this morning. I am in post extraction pain now but really panicking as feels like pre molar next to it is hurting now. I have visions of my teeth being taken out one by one. I am scared I left it too late and infection is spreading along teeth. The premolar is crowned and came off during extraction, dentist stuck it back on. I know its not uncommon for some pain to adjoining tooth but it feels similar pain to the one I had out. It was so awful going for extraction I just wanted it all to be ok now

Hi Masha
I hope some one more knowledgeable will be along to andwer you soon but just wanted to send you love and best wishes as I really understand how you’re feeling. I had back molar extracted 8 weeks ago too, then dry socket, and still having some pain.
So I’m waiting for an appointment at local hub and I’m worried like you, that the adjacent tooth was affected in some way during extraction. It feels like it’s never going to end doesn’t it, amd so much more traumatic during lockdown.
Try not to worry if you can and I hope you feel better in the morning xx

Hi Masha
I hope some one more knowledgeable will be along to andwer you soon but just wanted to send you love and best wishes as I really understand how you’re feeling. I had back molar extracted 8 weeks ago too, then dry socket, and still having some pain.
So I’m waiting for an appointment at local hub and I’m worried like you, that the adjacent tooth was affected in some way during extraction. It feels like it’s never going to end doesn’t it, amd so much more traumatic during lockdown.
Try not to worry if you can and I hope you feel better in the morning xx
Thank you. I think it's knowing they are limited in what they can do atm. I hope you get seen soon

I hope both of your teeth start feeling better and things calm down.. agh. hard time to go through this.. wishing the best!!:grouphug:

Not a dentist, but I had a similar situation. I had a lower molar removed and then the one next to it out a few months later due to it being cracked and not responding well to a crown prep. My premolar and canine hurt for several weeks afterwards, then off and on a few weeks more. My oral surgeon said that was normal and not to worry about it.
It is very, very rare for an infection to spread to surrounding teeth. I also know that from experience as well. I had a very large abscess on my front tooth (childhood injury and tooth died over the years). I had no idea the abscess was there because it didn’t hurt until it was there at least two years (endodontist’s guess based on the size). I was terrified it would affect my surrounding teeth, and had pain in the other teeth off and on, but it never spread. The endodontist and oral surgeon told me that it rarely happens.

Hi Masha,

I see how scary it was for you to have the another molar extracted, after the ordeal with antibiotics and it sounds to me like the molar must have been having issues that would most likely come up sooner or later anyway. It is not uncommon for adjacent teeth to hurt after an extraction (you can read more about it here) and if the crown came off and had to be put back on. As you mentioned, it only makes sense to me that the tooth needs some time to calm down again. Also, pain in teeth can feel similar even if there are different reasons for it, so if you can, please do not panic.

All the best wishes, may the tooth stop hurting soon and keep us posted.

Not a dentist, but I had a similar situation. I had a lower molar removed and then the one next to it out a few months later due to it being cracked and not responding well to a crown prep. My premolar and canine hurt for several weeks afterwards, then off and on a few weeks more. My oral surgeon said that was normal and not to worry about it.
It is very, very rare for an infection to spread to surrounding teeth. I also know that from experience as well. I had a very large abscess on my front tooth (childhood injury and tooth died over the years). I had no idea the abscess was there because it didn’t hurt until it was there at least two years (endodontist’s guess based on the size). I was terrified it would affect my surrounding teeth, and had pain in the other teeth off and on, but it never spread. The endodontist and oral surgeon told me that it rarely happens.
Thank you, that is reassuring. It does still hurt this morning but I know it's early days. I'm just a bit paranoid and also a bit traumatised after yesterday's extraction, keep playing it over in my head. And not being able to talk to or see my usual dentist who I trust.

It's normal that you are worried about losing another tooth - given your experience everyone would be. The fact you can't get reassurance from your trusted dentist makes it even harder to cope. Writing thoughts and memories and worries out often helps to process so feel free to vent and most importantly, allow yourself to get some rest and self-care to recover. :hug4:

Back