• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post Extraction Query

M

Megeriah

Hello, I had a tooth out last week (29/9) (don't know the proper name, was the very back tooth, lower R jaw) and was still in some considerable pain a week later, which had been keeping me awake at night, and with painkillers having minimal effect. So, I went back to my dentist (on Friday, 7/10), who cleaned out the socket (which just had minimal food particals, despite regular rinsing) and placed in some brownish fibres, which she said would help with the pain and keep it disinfected.
Aside from a horrific taste constantly in my mouth, the thing did the trick and I had no pain whilst it was in place.
Said brownish fibres have since come out today whilst I was brushing my teeth & rinsing, and a mild pain has started/returned.

(after all of that...) I just wondered :

a) What the flippin' 'eck was that brown-y stuff? :giggle:
b) What do you suggest?

Your guidance would be much appreciated, particularly if it saves me another trip!

Thanks in advance! :)

google dry socket- sounds like that's what you had.

Sounds similar. Slightly concerned that the pain will worsen to what it was before though as the packing stuff was only in for 2 1/2 days :(

easy to repack

Back