• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post filling still hurts :(

O

Ottosmomma

I had a smallish composite placed on a back upper right molar, on the side by my tongue 12 days ago. As soon as the Novocain wore off and I tried eating bread or anything with any chrunch, it hurts. It hurts almost every time I bite something crunchy or just crusty bread or something that requires a lot of chewing force. I did have the dentist recheck it last week and it was NOT a high filling issue. He said you know give it some time to settle etc. Well I had a traumatic fully vertically cracked molar last year that completely freaked me out, and I’m anxious this could be the start of a crack, brought on by the dental treatment. I really have no way of knowing what else it could be? I will go back on Monday to have it checked. The dentist did another x Ray after the filling and said it looked normal. But I do know cracks don’t necessarily show on x rays. Could sensitivity to chewing/chrunchy foods just be the nerve healing? Or do I possibly need the filling re-done? Like maybe it didn’t bond properly. Anyone else experience this type of sensitivity? Like I said I’m going back to the dentist after the weekend, I just have a ton of anxiety about this whole thing, and regret having the filling done if it’s just going to have possibly messed up the tooth more.

Hi there,

sorry to read about your worry, I would be freaking out as well if I had your experience with a cracked molar. :(

Sadly I can't tell you what is wrong with your tooth, but I do not think the placement of a filling would be a cause of the troubles, even if it might look like this for you. If your tooth needed a filling then there was decay that needed to get solved. Even if you had no troubles with it before the filling, sooner or later you would get some. I believe the simple placement of a filling shouldn't cause a tooth to crack.

May I ask you how the vertically cracked molar happened back then? Was it after a dental treatment?

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Hi there,

sorry to read about your worry, I would be freaking out as well if I had your experience with a cracked molar. :(

Sadly I can't tell you what is wrong with your tooth, but I do not think the placement of a filling would be a cause of the troubles, even if it might look like this for you. If your tooth needed a filling then there was decay that needed to get solved. Even if you had no troubles with it before the filling, sooner or later you would get some. I believe the simple placement of a filling shouldn't cause a tooth to crack.

May I ask you how the vertically cracked molar happened back then? Was it after a dental treatment?

Yes it was after dental treatment although the dentist said the crack might have already been present.

Yes it was after dental treatment although the dentist said the crack might have already been present.
Hi there,

It just seems weird to me that I’ve had this happen -only- after dental treatment :/

Hi,

I suggest you have a dental cleaning mainly around that tooth. It might just be some bonding left behind in the gum.

Back