• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post-nasal drip/ breathing issues & fear

S

Sunshinekitty

Hello, I am 30 years old and have not been to a dentist in 20+ years. I had an experience as a young child with a dentist that scarred me, and ever since I have been terrified of the dentist. (I had 2 teeth removed with no anethestia)

As I have aged I have developed some breathing issues, mainly a persistent nasal drip and diminished airflow in one nostril. I am terrified to lay back in the chair because I won’t be able to swallow or breathe. I am terrified they won’t take my concerns seriously because I have anxiety on top of it. I am too scared to get a root canal because I don’t think I can sit back and be worked o for that long. I am VERY fearful of being numb in the tongue/throat, because I will panic and be unable to swallow.

I attempted a filling in a tooth 10 years ago and was successfully numbed, but once they tried to tip me back I started to gag. They put in a dam and I choked even more, and finally ended the session with no success.

I have never spoken about this to anyone and I am really hoping anyone has some advice, stories or support they can give. I can’t do nothing any longer.

Hi,

There are solutions and tricks to cope with your concerns and needs such as:
-rather numbing the cheek tongue and through, there are other numbing techniques such as WAND and quicksleeper which anesthesia only the tooth without the neighboring tissues
- nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is known to be effective in most cases of severe gagging
- trust. Once trust is established with a dentist, the gagging is immideately lessened.
-you can find more ideas in a video I made about breathing during a dental appointment.

The bottom line is: there lots of things you can do, it takes time for you and the dentist to find the best way to treat you.

Dear Sunshinekitty :welcome:,

thank you for sharing your story with us. For the most people who suffer from dental fear this place is the first one to share about their fears and worries and the first step in seeking help. Dental anxiety is bad enough as such, but suffering from breathing issues on the top would make anyone even more scared so I can't even imagine how hard this must be. Are you in pain currently?

I was sorry to read about your attempt to get a filling. If I got it right, your dental team wasn't very sensitive to your difficulties that came at the point of tipping back and instead of making a break and find a way to help you they carried out the treatment.

When it comes to working with a dentist, the most important ingredient is trust, as Dr.Daniel wrote. At any stage of the treatment you have to be able to rely on your dental team looking after you and help you if you find yourself struggling, be it because of anxiety getting too high or because of physical discomfort. Sometimes, if things get difficult, a break and some chat to your dentist helps you to calm down and try again. Sometimes it's more about interrupting altogether and trying next time.

If it helps, I struggle with the feeling of being numb as well. I got through systematic desensitization with my dentist some time ago to get used to treatment and a session that involved numbing was planned long in advance. We had a chat about this via email first because even just talking about it personally was too triggering to me. We then had a session where my dentist placed a tiny bit of anesthetics, just as much for me to feel the numbness but not enough to do any treatment. That was all we did that day and after that we had a chat. It was hard enough but as nothing else was planned, I recovered of it well. Two sessions later we tried again and this time things were much easier. As he numbed me up at the third session, I had no difficulties whatsoever and we were able to do a filling.
By the way, rubber dam was a huge trigger for me as well. Desensitization helped here as well, I had found a lovely dentist who back then showed me the rubber dam and got me used to it in very small gradual steps. It didn't feel good back than but as I few months later found myself needing the rubber dam for an emergency treatment, I was prepared. I know seeing the rubber dam being placed stresses me out more than actually having it in place so I asked my dentist to let me know before he would start placing it so I could close my eyes for that stage.

My point is that making really small steps towards getting used to a treatment and having a dentist you trust are the keys. For the anxiety that stays despite that or if you need some urgent treatment, some technical help, again as Dr.Daniel suggests, might help.

It might be a good idea to start looking around for a practice you feel might be good with nervous patients and once you feel ready, shooting them and email telling them what you told us. Breathing problems is a huge issue and should be taken seriously. If someone before a treatment at our practice tells us they have a bit of cold, the first question we ask is whether they feel able to breath through their nose during a treatment and then we make sure there will be a stop sign and a break wherever possible to make it easier.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Thank you for the responses!
I am not in any pain, but I have one cracked molar and a very impacted wisdom tooth along with at least 4-5 cavities. I just know that I can’t let this go any longer and I have always let my fear win. I’m making an appointment Monday and I’ll just see what happens. Thank you for the suggestions and support.

Good to read you are not in pain. This will give you time to go at your pace and not to rush things. Let us know how you get on!

Sunshine Kitty,

I so empathize with so many parts of this , as I had a bad experience in childhood and teenage years, work with no anesthetic is quite painful especially extractions, its quite traumatizing. So even if its been years. good for you for wanting to try again and find a good safe dentist .

I am terrified to lay back in the chair because I won’t be able to swallow or breathe. I am terrified they won’t take my concerns seriously because I have anxiety on top of it. I am too scared to get a root canal because I don’t think I can sit back and be worked o for that long. I am VERY fearful of being numb in the tongue/throat, because I will panic and be unable to swallow.

This is SUCH a real fear.. and having post nasal drip I can completely see how it would be magnified and then worry they won't take you seriously.

This is one of my worst fears myself , not being able to swallow or somehow chocking and panicking. and the feeling of being trapped in this position without them understanding.

I can tell you it is quite relieving to find a dentist who really cares about your fears and will listen and not be condesending and belittle you but really say. what can we do to help you at your pace so you feel safe. I know Enarete had her desensitization and did things in slow ways little by little , like she explains..I hope you might find someone like her dentist that is kind and works at a slow pace and builds trust .

I know for me , my dentist listens and at the slightest wince stops and asks if everything is ok. I hope you can find a good , supportive, compassionate, competant dentist who can take you through this at your pace!! Wishing you the best in making your appt and finding the right one!

I chickened out and missed my appointment. I’m going to give it another week and try again. It’s so embarrassing to be scared of even having an exam. I’m not confident in the place I am going, but it is all my insurance will cover. Might look into speciality dentsists though I highly doubt I would qualify for any payment plans. :/

Sunshinekitty.

If you didn't feel a peace don't be hard on yourself. You made the appt and that is a first step. You are thinking on things and the fact you may look into other speciality dentists is a good step :). are you looking into those that specialize in anxiety? I know many dentists will offer a free consult to see if you will feel comfortable with them just to meet them and the office. That may give you a better feeling. I know sometimes it is worth it if you are able to go to a dentist that may not take your plan but is good with anxious patients. I hope you will find someone you feel a peace to take the first step with. You are progressing!

Back