• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post op 7 days. Still in EXCRUCIATING pain.

E

Empray15

Hi all,
I had all four of my impacted wisdom teeth removed a week ago. I’m 23 and I waited because I was terrified to get it done in the first place. Well, after a week I am in so much pain I can’t even think straight. First things first, I have had issues with the front desk staff of my dentists office so I was wary to use this dentist to begin with, but for insurance purposes I did. The surgery seemed to have gone well, I was completely sedated. I woke up groggy and numb as expected. I was given no medication to take home (no pain meds or antibiotics, even though I just had four impacted teeth ripped out of my head?!?! Oooook) On day 1 after the anesthesia wore off I didn’t feel much pain at all, day 2 I was still fine. I was taking a lot of OTC ibuprofen and Tylenol mixed together as per doctors orders. One day 3 I began using moist heat compressed to help with the pain I began to feel. It was throbbing, stiff, sore and radiating up into my ear and causing extreme headaches. Now here I am one day 7 with even more pain and throbbing and NOTHING is helping. I took very good care of the wounds, rinsing with salt water, using the pick to get food out etc, please someone help me understand why I’m still in so much pain.

Oh and when I went in to have the dentist look at my mouth on day 5 he blew me off and told me I was fine. OUCH.

Hi Empray15,

sorry to hear you're so much in pain, that sounds terrible! Sadly I don't have any better advice than plese, see a dentist again. 7 days and such a high level of pain doesn't sound good. :(

Your current dentist doesn't sound helpful. If you are in pain, you need help. Do you have any possibility to see a different dentist?

All the best wishes.

Hi Empray15,

sorry to hear you're so much in pain, that sounds terrible! Sadly I don't have any better advice than plese, see a dentist again. 7 days and such a high level of pain doesn't sound good. :(

Your current dentist doesn't sound helpful. If you are in pain, you need help. Do you have any possibility to see a different dentist?

All the best wishes.

Thanks for the reply!

So, I went back to the dentist for my post op appt. he basically said he doesn’t know why I’m in pain I don’t have dry socket and he didn’t see any infection. He put me on antibiotics anyway and told me to call in two days if it doesn’t get better. I’m on my second day and I’m still in pain. I tried to go and get an X-ray some of my mouth but was told I’d have to go to the ER and I didn’t want to do that. I’ve been able to get some relief from taking copious amounts of ibuprofen but that just seems so unhealthy and frankly excessive for over a week after surgery. The pain has gotten worse up in my ears particularly on my right side. It almost feels as if I have an ear infection and that my ear has popped. I have no idea what’s going on, but something is definitely wrong

Thanks for the update.. not really good news, right? Could you see any other doctor? If your dentist doesn't know what's happening, then someone else must know..
Sorry for not having any better advice, may someone experienced reply soon..

Back