• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post-op healing nervousness

M

mcredding

Had a tooth extracted last week. 2-3 days ago, the suture unraveled and fell out. Today, a thin white strip of material covering the wound fell out as well. That worries me because we've all heard the dreaded stories of dry socket, even though I'm on Day 7 after extraction. I call the dental clinic, and they decide to have me come in today so that the dentist can take a look and make sure it's okay and that there's nothing going on like a new infection.

After scheduling, I'm getting really nervous because I'm kind of a hypochondriac, but I just did what patient instructions said & what you're normally told when you look at stuff online: call your dentist so that they can advise you on what to do. If there is a new infection or problems in neighboring teeth/tissues affecting the healing or referring pain to the area, this wouldn't be the first time it's happened & thus not the first time that I've felt like a post-op visit was me being a hypochondriac. What happened during my most recent post-op visit for an extraction site? A neighboring tooth was identified as the cause of pain and was slated for extracted. What happened during the extraction-related post-op visit before that? There was a new infection that needed antibiotics. Update coming after visit.

Calling the clinic was the best thing you could to and that's exactly what dentists are here for and how it should be. Give yourself a pat on the back :) Even if it can't be DS anymore, if anything got lose or fell out of the extraction site, I would want to get it checked. I think you have been very unlucky with your last extraction and will keep my fingers crossed for you to get some positive news tomorrow.:clover: Keep us posted

I am not a dentist, but honestly, the thin white 'material' sounds like maybe just old clot as blood clots may start out as red, but actually turn white the older they get. This is normal and part of the healing process, though if seeing the dentist will make you feel better, I'd say go for it. At best, you're preventing issue and at worst, you rack up a small co-pay - totally worth it for the peace of mind alone.

Back