• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post op pain

S

Sgb

I hope this is ok to ask here. I came to my mom's to recover which is in the middle of no where, so calling my oral surgeon is proving difficult with no signal.

Had tops removed a few years back but there was a bone spur irritating me all this time. At time to remove bottoms I asked surgeon to fix that while he was in there. General anesthesia, minor top repair, full bottom extractions and aveoloplasty (sp?) were done on this past Thursday.

I cannot take NSAIDS anymore which I find extremely helpful with inflammation, but my stomach has a hole in it so no go.

Was prescribed Norco 5/325 and been taking that Q6 with a 500 mg of extra Tylenol.

Swelling seems to not resolve. Norco is the only thing that takes the edge off pain wise, and although I'm due to go to warm compresses now, I am still using ice packs.

I don't know what else to do for the swelling and pain. My options seem limited.

I contemplated increasing the Norco (I know I can safely go up to 10/650 as we use it on the trauma unit where I work), but it makes me tachy and overheated.

I am at a loss at how to help myself anymore, and want to cry. I know this is temporary while I heal but this is so much worse than when I had my tops out.

Is there anything I am missing that would help?

Assuming you're using salt mouthwashes then I can't see that there's much more you can do for now. Can you get hold of some Difflam (Benzydamine Hydrochloride) rinse, that'll help a bit.

I'd keep to ice rather than warm compresses, can't see any advantage in them.

I have a peroxide rinse I use after salt water rinses. Not sure if it helps other than taking that nauseating salt taste in my mouth.

I took out my immediate denture. It was cutting into the tissue under my tongue. That seems to have helped a lot. It still hurts but not as bad. The swelling is crazy though.

Back