• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post Operative Oral surgery question/Cleaning

C

cpy911

Hi all,
First of all, I keep really good care of my teeth. Have mostly good teeth and gums.
I brush and use a waterpik 2X a day, and floss 1X a day.

Anyhow, had a dental crown with an overhang that trapped some bad stuff and caused decay under the gum line. I just had a crown lengthening done and am recovering. I was told not touch that entire quadrant of my mouth for a week. Today, I went in for a post operative check and told I can carefully brush and floss the other teeth in this quadrent. When I did, I noticed some bleeding of gums of two teeth in front of the surgical site. Suffice to say I am OCD and depressed and upset that I have bleeding gums after just one week! Anyhow, any permanent damage done to my good teeth? Do I have periodontal pockets now? All of the other areas of my mouth are fine, no bleeding because I waterpik and floss these areas.

BTW the whole surgery was traumatic and painful. I can't even put into words how bad it was.

Thanks, I need hope. I have anxiety and am very OCD about my teeth. They kind of rule my life these days.

Please help!

I'm afraid I've never had the same things done so can't say for sure but I would imagine that a little bit of bleeding is probably just because of the trauma in that area, I'd give it a few weeks before you worry. I had a tooth removed 3 weeks ago and the teeth near it bled a tiny bit for about 2 weeks and then stopped.

However, if you describe your OCD as ruling your life I think, if you are not already getting help, you should seek out some therapy for the OCD so you can get your life back in balance.

I'm afraid I've never had the same things done so can't say for sure but I would imagine that a little bit of bleeding is probably just because of the trauma in that area, I'd give it a few weeks before you worry. I had a tooth removed 3 weeks ago and the teeth near it bled a tiny bit for about 2 weeks and then stopped.

However, if you describe your OCD as ruling your life I think, if you are not already getting help, you should seek out some therapy for the OCD so you can get your life back in balance.

My teeth have taken over my life in my effort to keep them. I am 38 years old and have all my natural teeth, but lots of fillings and two crowns. I am definitely OCD and this whole surgery has even worsened it with regards to my teeth. I am taking Paxil for Panic attacks and it helps with the OCD. But it also causes dry mouth, which leads to gum disease and dental decay which starts the whole damn cycle. Somehow I battle through in life.
My wife helps put things in perspective and we just bought a book that has helped me in the past. Trying a little of cognitive therapy. If I could only overcome this OCD/Panic/Anxiety, I could put my intellect and energies to such good use, as of now I am handicapped!

Anyways, I want a normal life and the teeth are overwhelming me.

Thanks.

BTW the whole surgery was traumatic and painful. I can't even put into words how bad it was.

This sounds awful, it doesn't have to be this, why.....you should not be feeling pain, how did that happen ?

I feel really sorry for you, trapped in this 'cycle' of anxiety, medication, dental worry and then anxiety. If the Paxil is working well for you, then presumably your GP doesn't think changing it is a good idea....is there any treatment for dry mouth conditions that they could recommend (or anyone here could recommend ?) ?

This sounds awful, it doesn't have to be this, why.....you should not be feeling pain, how did that happen ?

I feel really sorry for you, trapped in this 'cycle' of anxiety, medication, dental worry and then anxiety. If the Paxil is working well for you, then presumably your GP doesn't think changing it is a good idea....is there any treatment for dry mouth conditions that they could recommend (or anyone here could recommend ?) ?

With regards to the surgery, I had to have a lot of additional anesthetic to keep the pain down, lots and lots of additional shots. It was crazy. Then, recovery has been painful too. Now I am noticing my jaw has a little TMJ on that side, something I never had before. All in all, not a good experience.

Good point on treating the dry mouth thing. I will have to think about that. I am trying to get off the paxil though and my GP said I can taper down anytime, but then flying on airplanes and being in crowded places will be very very panic invoking!

Thanks for your comments.

My teeth have taken over my life in my effort to keep them. I am 38 years old and have all my natural teeth, but lots of fillings and two crowns. I am definitely OCD and this whole surgery has even worsened it with regards to my teeth. I am taking Paxil for Panic attacks and it helps with the OCD. But it also causes dry mouth, which leads to gum disease and dental decay which starts the whole damn cycle. Somehow I battle through in life.
My wife helps put things in perspective and we just bought a book that has helped me in the past. Trying a little of cognitive therapy. If I could only overcome this OCD/Panic/Anxiety, I could put my intellect and energies to such good use, as of now I am handicapped!

Anyways, I want a normal life and the teeth are overwhelming me.

Thanks.

Has your doctor referred you for counselling or psychology? Anti depressants aren't a great way to control OCD in the long term because you aren't addressing the problem just sort of sticking a plaster over it. If the anti depressants are also causing problems with your teeth too I think if I were you I'd be asking to see someone to help with the OCD and then it might help with the teeth.

As a side note a psychologist I saw said that taking the anti-depressant every day can actually make things worse in some ways because it's a daily reminder the OCD has become a problem, which then makes you feel a bit more out of control so the OCD gets a bit worse to make you feel in control! Hope that makes sense! CBT is fantastic, you don't lose the OCD you just change the focus so you can live a normal life and fit the routines into a more manageable pattern.

Well. Things are getting better. My mouth and jaw are still painful, but getting to be livable. The healthy teeth/gums around the surgical site no longer bleed thanks to taking care of them. I would say that I have more anxiety than OCD about things. As the healing takes place, it seems the teeth are not ruling my life as much. Still, I know I obsess about the teeth and keeping them. It is such a strange feeling the way the teeth rule my life though...but I am learning to cope. Have a book on the way to do some cognitive therapy.
I have used several counselors in the past...all of them, albeit well intentioned are a waste of time and money. I am better spent helping my self.

Thanks for you support all of you....
Wishing you all good health and joy!

Back