• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post RCT infection

H

Hixon

Hi all, hope somebody can help clarify some advice I've received this morning.

September last year I had a 2nd pre-molar RCT and crown, all went fine and no problems until Sunday just gone.

Since Sunday I have had constant nagging pain from the tooth which becomes worse if I touch it, it is also now sensitive to hot and cold.

Suspecting an infection I returned to the Dentist this morning, as it was an emergency appointment I did not see my regular dentist

An X ray was taken and I have been advised that the root canal has been filled properly & that it's rare for a 2nd pre-molar to have more than one canal. As such the conclusion is that there is infection at the tip of the root and that 7 days of Amoxicillin may clear it up.

This leaves me a bit confused though as it was my understanding that if a RCT became reinfected then I need to be looking at either extraction or a second RCT.

I have other health concerns at the moment meaning I'd really rather not take the Amoxicillin as a "try it & see" measure if the outcome is likely to be further treatment or extraction.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

The reasoning here is... sometimes the balance between the body's immune response and any bacteria which are around at the apex of a root treated tooth can swing towards the bacteria. If that happens then it's sometimes possible to redress the balance by using antibiotics.

I think in your case and without seeing the x-rays, the dentist has decided it's worth a try. Whether you follow their advice or not is of course up to you.

Ok, thanks for the clarification Gordon.

I have been a bit run down lately so that makes sense. I will speak to my Dentist again for further advice.

Back