• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post root canal infection or impacted wisdom tooth issue?

G

Getoutmymouth

Hi. On Dec 19th I went to my dentist on emergency with pain and was given antibiotics for an infection. X-ray showed horizontally impacted wisdom tooth but she believed the 1st molar with heavy filling was the culprit.

I had stage 1 rct done and due stage 2 in a month. I’m now back on abs for a 2nd infection.

My gum behind 2nd molar is red, swollen and very painful. My dentist stated that even if it was my wisdom tooth that she couldn’t do anything and wouldn’t refer me until rtc was complete. That won’t be for months & I’m in agony.

Do I get a second opinion?
I’m so scared that I need a surgical extraction alongside the rtc.

M

MountainMama

I am not a dentist so I have no idea what the reasoning is behind waiting for the root canal to be finished first.

I am wondering why they can’t go ahead and refer you to an oral surgeon to look at the wisdom tooth? They could coordinate appointments to coincide with finishing the root canal but every time I have needed work done they always had a consult appointment first, the scheduled the actual work. It sometimes took months just to get a consult, so waiting seems silly.

Do you have to have a referral or can you schedule a consult with an oral surgeon yourself? If you can’t, I would probably seek a second opinion, especially if you are in pain.

G

Getoutmymouth

I totally agree with you. I think she is doing what she has the capability to do, but I don’t understand why she refuses to consider that it could be something else.
I even told her that I have health insurance that would cover extraction if I needed it.

My only other option is going to a private dentist for a second opinion which would mean paying for the surgery which won’t be cheap.

Plus I would have two large procedures done in a close amount of time by 2 non communicating dentists.

This shouldn’t be so hard.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
My best guess is that she's waiting to see if the RCT works, if it does then there is no need for the 3rd molar extraction. If it doesn't and the 2nd molar needs extracted then it might be possible to bring the 3rd molar into use or extract them both at the same time. Which would be less trauma for you.

G

Getoutmymouth

I understand that she thinks waiting is ruling one thing out at a time. But I can’t live in this pain.
I’m losing weight, losing sleepy and dosing on pain killers to the max.

G

Getoutmymouth

I’m in tears tonight. I’m pretty tough with pain. Several chronic progressive conditions and have had surgery 16 times in as many years.

This is doing me in. Even my tramadol and morphine isn’t helping. Amitriptyline makes a difference but I can’t function on that during the day.

G

Getoutmymouth

I’m noticing when I take Amitriptyline it helps ease my pain a bit.

Does that mean my pain is nerve related? I’m positive it’s an impacted wisdom tooth causing it. Roll on Thursday. If my dentist agrees I’m using ny insurance.
If not I’m paying someone to yank this out.

M

MountainMama

Do they know how much pain you are in? With my dentist, if I am in pain, they work me in. Even my previous oral surgeon told me that if the pain increased, to call and they would try to get me in sooner. I would call them and tell them that the painkillers are not working. If anything, maybe she could do the root canal sooner.

G

Getoutmymouth

I’m going to call tomo. Tonight The hard lump inside my jaw has broken the skin. I’m assuming it’s my wisdom tooth.
I’m positive it’s not the rct molar causing all this.

C

Cosmo

Get your GP involved if you can. Mine knows that I once broke a rib and didn't mention it, that I don't whine about nothing. I feel for you, and be sure that whoever 'looks' at it actually does physically look and doesn't simply take x rays. Meantime, I found lots of warm seasalt water rinses, holding it in my mouth as long as possible, was helpful, like soaking a festered sliver in epsom salts. And if the pain has gotten to the point where you are not thinking straight, get an advocate, even though they may not be allowed in with you, they can at least stand up for you as well as keep a clear record of events.

G

Getoutmymouth

Thank you. So nice to have advice from people who understand. I’ve been let down so often on the nhs that it can’t be hard to trust when you just have that feeling that something isn’t right.