• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post root canal question

F

famv5

I had a root canal on tooth #31 two days ago. Everything went well and the endodontist said he didn't visually see any cracks. I've been doing well, however, that particular tooth will be sensitive/sore off and on. Sometimes, I can tap it with my tongue and won't feel anything. Other times for no reason, I can tap it or just speak and it will be very sensitive.

Is that just part of the healing process? I'm trying not to keep touching it with my tongue but I'm concerned. I had a prior root canal fail in the tooth in front of it and it was sensitive to the touch so now I'm really on high alert.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and see how things go.

Thank you!

Congrats on the root canal! :) I had one done about 2 weeks ago and I still have residual soreness with it. The first few days were actually pretty painful for me. Root canals can be quite harsh on the dental ligaments, so even though the nerve is gone, you can still feel pain around the tooth that can feel like pain in the tooth itself. I know it's hard to avoid touching it, but give it a few more days and you will probably see improvements. If you're able to, you might want to try taking an anti-inflammatory (like ibuprofen) which can help reduce the inflammation that might be causing your sensitivity/soreness. Feel better soon!

Here is some more information on why it may be sore for a few days afterwards:

Back