• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a general dental forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Post surgery infection - 9 weeks after wisdom teeth extraction

J

Jammy Jenkins

I had both of my bottom impacted wisdom teeth removed 9 weeks ago. I also had an infected cyst removed on the right hand side and a bone graft. The left hand side extraction was comparatively simple. I completed the course of antibiotics immediately after surgery and kept to a liquid diet for 10days.

However, 3 weeks after surgery, both wounds were still open and I developed an infection on the left, I was prescribed with further antibiotics and returned to a liquid diet for a few days. I maintained weekly appointments with my surgeon to irrigate the wounds and monitor the healing process. I also continued to rinse with chlorhexidine mouthwash and salt water.

Now 9 weeks post surgery I still have open wounds, I cannot open my mouth as wide as presurgery and I have another infection on the left. The surgeon took a panoramic xray, reopened the wound to clean, stitched along the gum leaving a small opening for the pus to escape and prescribed further antibiotics and a return to liquid diet. The surgeon seems surprised at both the length of time my wounds are taking to heal and that I have developed another infection so long after - he has questionned whether I have an immune deficiency problem?

After 5 days, the pain and swelling from the infection is still apparant and various concerned friends and family are urging me to seek a second opinion. I am reaching out to this forum to gauge whether the treatment I have received may be at fault and I should seek a 2nd professional opinion or whether I've just had a bad experience?

J

Jammy Jenkins

UPDATE
I just wanted to conclude my post by reassuring readers that after a troublesome post surgery recovery, all is now well. It took nearly 5 months for the wounds to fully heal and even now the soft tissue is still forming so I have to rinse trapped food from the small pockets in the gum after every meal. I guess my expectations for a quick healing process were just unrealistic!