• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Potential extraction and dental implant

B

Beccab213

Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I have had dental anxiety for years and it stems from a history of sexual assault. I find dental appointments stressful as they involve what feels like a "loss of control" and lack of personal space. I have gone to the operating room under general anesthesia for six root canals as I cannot tolerate lengthy procedures. I have the option for either a root canal or tooth extraction with dental implant for a tooth with on-going issues with sensitivity despite multiple treatments. I plan to do the procedure awake (with Valium on board) as to face some of my fears. I am concerned about the sounds during extraction. I am terrified but determined to face this head on. If anyone could please share their experiences with extraction while awake, I would really appreciate it. I am so very scared.

Thanks so very much!
Becca

I have always been terrified of extractions due to having teeth pulled as a kid where I wasn't numb enough, and the dentist didn't believe me.
I had my first extractions as an adult this past year, due to failed root canals. I have had three molars extracted, and bone grafting done on each. I had one implant placed already, and plan to get one more.

The first two extractions were done at the oral surgeon, and I had nitrous oxide. It was a lot quicker than a root canal, and the nitrous made it so that I was relaxed but was still aware of what was going on.

The last one was done at my dentist and they don't offer nitrous. I had lorazepam prescribed by my doctor, as there is no way I could have gone in unmedicated! It honestly was not as bad as I had expected. It was over quickly. I closed my eyes the whole time so that I couldn't see anything. With mine, the tooth broke, so the dentist had to pull out the roots separately, but even that went quickly.

I have always been terrified of extractions due to having teeth pulled as a kid where I wasn't numb enough, and the dentist didn't believe me.
I had my first extractions as an adult this past year, due to failed root canals. I have had three molars extracted, and bone grafting done on each. I had one implant placed already, and plan to get one more.

The first two extractions were done at the oral surgeon, and I had nitrous oxide. It was a lot quicker than a root canal, and the nitrous made it so that I was relaxed but was still aware of what was going on.

The last one was done at my dentist and they don't offer nitrous. I had lorazepam prescribed by my doctor, as there is no way I could have gone in unmedicated! It honestly was not as bad as I had expected. It was over quickly. I closed my eyes the whole time so that I couldn't see anything. With mine, the tooth broke, so the dentist had to pull out the roots separately, but even that went quickly.
Thank you so much. If you don’t mind me asking, how long does the actual extraction take?

Thank you so much. If you don’t mind me asking, how long does the actual extraction take?

None of the actual extractions were longer than 20 minutes...closer to ten minutes. Most of the appointment time was waiting for the anesthetic to kick in after the numbing shots, sonthe actual "time in mouth" was 20 minites or less. The one that broke and had to have the roots extracted took 20 at most. The other two were about ten minutes, and on one the oral surgeon had to stop and give me another shot, but was still done in ten minutes!

None of the actual extractions were longer than 20 minutes...closer to ten minutes. Most of the appointment time was waiting for the anesthetic to kick in after the numbing shots, sonthe actual "time in mouth" was 20 minites or less. The one that broke and had to have the roots extracted took 20 at most. The other two were about ten minutes, and on one the oral surgeon had to stop and give me another shot, but was still done in ten minutes!
Thanks so much. One last question, I promise. Is sound bad? I heard the cracking is quite loud and scary?

Thanks so much. One last question, I promise. Is sound bad? I heard the cracking is quite loud and scary?

No, I honestly thought it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. The medication helped quite a bit as well, but even with my tooth breaking, there wasn't a loud cracking noise. When the other two were extracted, there wasn't really any noise (or I don't remember it). It is mostly a lot of pressure, but no pain. You feel pulling against your jaw, back and forth, but in my experiences, the dentist and oral surgeon were very precise, with small movements, no major tugging like I remembered from my childhood. They just rocked the tooth back and forth until it came loose, and was able to be pulled out.

I don't mine you asking questions at all, so feel free to ask all you want.

No, I honestly thought it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. The medication helped quite a bit as well, but even with my tooth breaking, there wasn't a loud cracking noise. When the other two were extracted, there wasn't really any noise (or I don't remember it). It is mostly a lot of pressure, but no pain. You feel pulling against your jaw, back and forth, but in my experiences, the dentist and oral surgeon were very precise, with small movements, no major tugging like I remembered from my childhood. They just rocked the tooth back and forth until it came loose, and was able to be pulled out.

I don't mine you asking questions at all, so feel free to ask all you want.
Thanks so much!

What medication was helpful?

Back