• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Powerful excerpt on fear and bravery

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ran across this in reading and thought it could apply to my own dental journey and maybe more could be encouraged. :) comes from a great book cptsd by Pete Walker. Even if you don't have ptsd its a great book of growth , coping and healing help!

Attachments

• 20200111_085704_Film1~2.jpg
    20200111_085704_Film1~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
I absolutely love this passage. Especially what it says about speaking up and advocating for yourself. Thanks for sharing!

That`s a very nice excerpt, thank you for sharing.

I think in case of dental anxiety it is all about finding balance between pushing yourself to get through it - ignoring the fear - and on the other side desensitizing yourself to be able to have less anxiety in the future. There are people who would benefit from working on getting less nervous by taking it slowly but they push themselves through treatment instead. As a result they stop going for years.
And there are also people who would benefit from pushing themselves a little bit, doing it anyway (make that call, get that exam) but they are waiting and waiting hoping the anxiety will pass.

For me the art is to understand where are you at and which of that two approaches is the right at the moment.

Yes it is definitely a delicate balance to find initially. The anxiety will definitely never pass from waiting it out. You have to have that positive experience that negates the fear to build on. You have to go through that first fearful experience and survive to get across to the other side. It’s not easy.

@Enarete ,, what a beautiful way to put this balance of this.. so true.. @kitkat I really liked that part too about setting boundaries , stating preferences and speaking up.

Back