• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Prehistoric dentists

D

Dana

I found interesting article in one czech magazine, so I'll try to translate it:

There's evidence that there were dentists 6 - 9 thousand years ago. Scientists found small holes after cavities in the teeths of the skulls. The holes were 1,3 mm - 3,2 mm wide and 0,5-3,5 mm deep (oh, dear - metric system?:) )

The scientists believe that the dentists used soft and fine tools. And it's clear that the holes were done during their life, not after their death, because the holes were brushed from chewing the food.

You see!! I'm so glad I live in this century! ;-)

Have a nice day, Dana

Dana said:
I found interesting article in one czech magazine, so I'll try to translate it:

There's evidence that there were dentists 6 - 9 thousand years ago. Scientists found small holes after cavities in the teeths of the skulls. The holes were 1,3 mm - 3,2 mm wide and 0,5-3,5 mm deep (oh, dear - metric system?:) )The scientists believe that the dentists used soft and fine tools. And it's clear that the holes were done during their life, not after their death, because the holes were brushed from chewing the food.

It is fascinating to read about the history behind Dental Profession and procedures over the years. I can remember when i was in primary school about 9-10 years old, we were learning about the Edwardian and Victorian era's. We visited an open air museum in Durham North East England called "Beamish". It has an old Dentist surgery, complete with working equipment, including pedal powered drills and dentures with springs joining top set to bottom.

I was fascinated, yet at the same time When I walked in I got the shakes and the cold sweats (Even though I knew it was a museum) :redface:.

I am fascinated about how far Dental and Medical scinec and Technology has come over the years and hope it keeps progressing.

Bye for now.
x

Back