• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Preparation for scaling and planing

A

Antiques55

I will be having my teeth & roots scaled and planed starting in a little over 2 weeks. Is there anything I can do now to help in the healing and perhaps make the recovery a little less painful and with less bleeding? My gums are very tender right now but I'd be willing to start brushing more often with a soft toothbrush if it will help. Or will I just be irritating my gums unnecessarily, possibly making myself uncomfortable and making things worse by messing with them? I will be taking an oral antibiotic and I rinse fairly often with Peroxyl. Is that enough?

You certainly could try increasing your homecare of brushing and flossing to try to get the gums less inflammed for the time being, but whether it will help that much to decrease soreness and bleeding after the cleaning is not that likely. It might help a bit, but it's really the plaque and tartar buildup that is creating most of the irritation so once it's cleaned off and after the healing process things should be much better.

Just wanted to say excellent advise Zzz. I started doing this when I got home form the dentist last Wed. While it was a bit pricey I invested in a Sonicare tooth brush, started flossing regularly and started using Plax (like I used to as a kid).

What I've found is the following:
1) Gums have stopped bleeding when a tooth brush gets near them (this was a problem before with manual brushing and with a small headed Oral-B Vitality)
2) Gum sensitivity has decreased massively. Previously if anything (food or whatever) came in contact with the gums it was nerve wracking. I was eating corn chips yesterday (not the best choice for someone with gum issues), but the chip dug in between teeth where it has bled massively before. Not this time!!!
3) There is also a "grinding noise in your mouth getting used to thing" that I've noticed. Those evil little hooks and all buzzing at a dentist office is one of the "freak factors" for me. I've noticed that using the toothbrush I don't mind the noise in my head anymore (hope this is a good thing!)
4) I've noticed some of the inflammation and swelling I was facing around the molars is/has gone down, being pink not red.

While I doubt I'll have much impact to the gaps in a weeks time, switching to this pattern of home care has already shown improvements!

Hate to dig up an old post again...

but does anyone know the recovery times for this procedure?

I should just ask my dentist when I go in on Thursday but I'll probably forget.

I'm finding that four days after my gums are beginning to feel a little raw and sensitive (I probably overdid it somewhere) and wanted to know if that was normal.

It can take a week or more for the gums to start bouncing back. How fast do you heal from a cut or any other similar injury to your body? Gum tissue is the fastest regenerating tissue in the body, but unless you're like the Hulk it will take some time for your cells to regroup and recover from the treatment. Exposure to gamma radiation might speed the process, but then again, the life in exile and eternally replacing ripped clothing might not be worth the short term benefits.

I'm finding that four days after my gums are beginning to feel a little raw and sensitive (I probably overdid it somewhere) and wanted to know if that was normal.

Have you got the softest possible brushhead on your toothbrush? I still use the rotating kind with extra soft brushheads. I tried a relative's sonic toothbrush once and didn't like the sensation at all.
No smutty remarks please.....you know who you are ;).

I had started brushing with a Sonicare a week before I got the work done on the top. I liked the sensation and had used it even the first night after and it seemed ok (as in it didn't bother me).

I'm finding that the best solution I've got going so far is reserving the sonic toothbrush for my morning and nightly ritual but brushing with an extra soft manual after every meal and rinsing with saltwater. Finding that the massaging actually feels good on the gums. Seems like major over kill but it feels good and I'm not about ready to let my weekly torture sessions go to waste if I don't take care of my teeth.

FYI brit: Sounds like a decent recommendation ;) ... Zzz's came into consideration only momentarily. The gamma radiation MIGHT work - but I didn't want to foot the lingerie bill :p

Last edited:
I have some receded areas of gum from overbrushing.....twice a day is enough really...work out how much extra wear and tear there is to your gums if you brush 3 times instead of 2 over a 90 year lifespan. Seriously you can overdo it. I brush twice and floss once as a general rule.
So I really do think very soft brushheads are the key.

How do I deal with the paranoia then?

I am so petrified of leaving a piece of food between my teeth or sugar on my teeth between my daily feedings to the point you're right, I'm probably taking it overboard.

No smutty remarks please.....you know who you are ;).

Yeah Gordon, keep those thoughts pure man! :thumbsup: Some dentists hey? I tell ya.

Back