Preparing for a crown.

J

JAB

I am going for a crown in a few weeks. The initial prep is very challenging for me to get through, but I suppose I will survive it. It's getting the final crown cemented in is the part that really worries me. I've had to crowns previously by different dentists, and the second visits were incredibly painful. Most people think I'm crazy but it really hurts when they cement the crown in. What can I do to minimize the pain during the second visit especially? I'm starting to freak myself out thinking it.
:confused:

FearfulInMA

FearfulInMA

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you previously had local anesthetic during the second crown appointment? If not, ask your dentist to do this and it should greatly minimize pain/discomfort.

A

Abframe76

I have read that many of them will numb you for the final placement, maybe you can ask them to do that for you?

I wish you you the very best! I know how freaky this can be!

S

Spike 1969

Personally for the final fitting of the permanent crown I don't need a Local Anaesthetic but that's just me, you are perfectly OK to ask for it and the dentist should be happy to make sure you are comfortable, after all you are the customer ;).

For a crown fitting they won't use as much as for fillings or prep, usually just enough to ensure that the gum area is comfortably numb.

kind regards

D

Danglyweed

I too am getting one soon. My dentist is a great believer in using numbing gel, I think in general nervous patients can panic about pain and the actual injections, numbing gel is amazing and would be a total breeze, needle free. I would ask for that to be used.

J

JAB

I didn't even know it was possible to be numbed for the second visit. I was never given the option. I was just told the cement coming in contact with the tooth is what caused all the pain. I assumed they couldn't numb me for that visit because I wouldn't be able to tell if it is seated properly. Maybe I'm just ignorant. I can check with him.:hmm:

Angeldove

Angeldove

My dentist won't numb me up for putting the final crown on because she needs me to be able to feel if my bite is correct or not. Even a little numbing can affect how you feel the teeth touching.

Putting final crowns on hurt me too, especially if the tooth/gum area hasn't fully calmed down. Even if they are calm, when the dentist blows air or water on to it, it's super painful for me. And I hate when they have to take the temp crown off without any numbing gel because it hurts - my dentist even knows it hurts and just kind of lets me get through it.

I will take a high dosage of Advil an hour before I go to the dentist - 800 mg of it. That's the only thing that I've found to help me through the pain. I'm not sure if yours lingers for a long time, but usually by the time I'm home (it's about a 30 minute drive for me), I'm totally fine.

FearfulInMA

FearfulInMA

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've always been numbed for a final crown (except when the tooth had had a RCT). It's never even been a question. My dentist would not have me endure that without being numb. I've also never had any issue feeling if the bite is off. My dentist can also usually see if it's high when he check with the blue paper. Also, you can always go back for an adjustment of it doesn't feel right after the numbing wears off - just like you would for a filling.