• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Do you get numbed for a crown?

J

JAB

I am going for a crown in a few weeks. The initial prep is very challenging for me to get through, but I suppose I will survive it. It's getting the final crown cemented in is the part that really worries me. I've had to crowns previously by different dentists, and the second visits were incredibly painful. Most people think I'm crazy but it really hurts when they cement the crown in. What can I do to minimize the pain during the second visit especially? I'm starting to freak myself out thinking it.
:confused:

Have you previously had local anesthetic during the second crown appointment? If not, ask your dentist to do this and it should greatly minimize pain/discomfort.

I have read that many of them will numb you for the final placement, maybe you can ask them to do that for you?

I wish you you the very best! I know how freaky this can be!

I too am getting one soon. My dentist is a great believer in using numbing gel, I think in general nervous patients can panic about pain and the actual injections, numbing gel is amazing and would be a total breeze, needle free. I would ask for that to be used.

I didn't even know it was possible to be numbed for the second visit. I was never given the option. I was just told the cement coming in contact with the tooth is what caused all the pain. I assumed they couldn't numb me for that visit because I wouldn't be able to tell if it is seated properly. Maybe I'm just ignorant. I can check with him.:hmm:

I've always been numbed for a final crown (except when the tooth had had a RCT). It's never even been a question. My dentist would not have me endure that without being numb. I've also never had any issue feeling if the bite is off. My dentist can also usually see if it's high when he check with the blue paper. Also, you can always go back for an adjustment of it doesn't feel right after the numbing wears off - just like you would for a filling.

Back