• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

PRGF Treatment - I had it and i actually think its worth considering

B

blewis53

Hello Everyone

I just thought id add a further thread in relation to a new option i was offered at my dentist which i was not offered 4 years ago. I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned on this site? if it has i do apologize I think im just completely euphoric my surgery is out of the way, plus i cant smoke so i need to keep my hands busy with typing! ;D

The treatment i was offered was/is called PRGF (Plasma Rich in Growth Factors) Apparently its been around for about 15 years and i was offered it as an additional option which i accepted during my surgical extractions under IV sedation yesterday 22/8/2015.

You probably want to do some research on the net like i did for extra info, or ask your dentist directly.

With me I was under IV sedation, whilst sedated my dentist took a small amount of blood from me (in total it was around 38 ml of blood for two surgical extractions) if you consider a double measure of spirit is 50ml it wasn't even that much! after they take the blood they put it into this machine which spins it around for about 20 minutes, this separates the plasma and platelets contained within the blood, a small plug is made from the plasma and platelets and this is placed directly into the socket of the extracted tooth.

My dentist said this works like a mini scaffold in the area, and my very own proteins and growth factors accelerate the healing process. It helps to avoid pain, dry socket, infection, and reduces inflammation.

At a cost of £240 for both extractions i was a little unsure at first but decided to go with it, all i can say is that i am VERY VERY happy i went for it.

It is less than 24 hours since my surgery and all bleeding has stopped, i am in very little pain, and the actual area has already taken on that dark/white look you usually get within 72 hours. Basically, it works, and its amazing, if you are able to afford it then i would highly recommend taking advantage. Im about 48 hours ahead of what i should be.

Of course not everyone can go private, I stuck it on a credit card because personally i couldn't care if i spent £5k on my teeth, i was in so much pain with them I just want them sorted and every penny spent is worth it.

You may be luck enough to have the NHS pay for this? if you are go for it! its amazing, i believe they use this treatment on skin and all sorts of bits and bobs!?:grin:

PLEASE NOTE: Immediately after my extractions, i had a slight panic as the actual plug they place into the extraction socket is very big at first, very red and very wet looking. However, don't panic, this is normal, and within 20 hours or so it goes right down and turns a dark/off white colour which means it is healing.

I hope this post is useful to someone :clover::jump::giggle:

Last edited:
PRGF and PRF are blood products made from the patient's own blood and you are right that they concentrate the growth factors. It is not unusual to report reduced pain as a benefit. I routinely use it for bone grafts.

Its amazing, im just under 48 hours now and since writing my original post above i remain blood and pain free. I do have the ever so slightest of twinges now and then but compared to my last surgery in 2011 its nothing.

I cant get over how quick it is healing, i would highly recommend this to anyone going for dental surgery particularly extractions.

Thanks for your reply

Back